Antennagate on iPad2 also

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tkadrum, May 25, 2011.

1. tkadrum, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

tkadrum macrumors member

Not just iPhone4, but according to AppAdvice, iPad2 as well.
    ARTICLE
    http://youtu.be/p05kqIcB21s

2. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

You are holding it wrong!:eek:

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Can't say I've noticed this. On either pair of "sides."

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Signals to anything with an antenna will get blocked by flesh. Your hand is flesh, and the closer you get it to the antenna the greater chance you'll be reducing the signal that can get to it. I've got two Android tablets (OK, 5 really) now, and the same thing happens. It actually make it easy to locate where inside the antennas are without taking the cases apart. Once you know where your hand has the most effect, stop putting your hand there when you need a stronger signal.

5. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

as much as people like to rag on plastic parts on devices.. isn't it a better material for wireless signals than aluminum? if i recall correctly, back with the 12" powerbooks, a lot of people noticed that the aluminum casing seemed to weaken the signal compared to polycarbonate

6. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I actually have noticed this with my iPad 2.

If I am in the room farthest from my wireless router and holding the device in my left hand in portrait mode a web page won't load. But the moment I rotate it 90 degrees into landscape the page will load immediately.

And I can pretty much reproduce it every time. When I am closer to the router I don't have any issues though.

The annoying thing is that my iPad 1 had 3 bars even in the furthest corner of that room, so I think the iPad 2 may be pushing out less power in its wireless signal to increase battery life to iPad 1 levels.

But that is just from my observations, and could even be limited to my unit.

7. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

My neighbor has ipad2 and we tested her and mine. Sure enough, her ipad2 is suffering the loss if her hand is in the same position as shown in the video, while very little changes in mine. So I'm convinced that indeed is the design in the ipad2. So should I wait for ipad3 or windows 8 tablet?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Definitely wait for the windows 8 tablet.

Definitely.

9. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

Cannot reproduce this on mine, maybe the 3G with the extra casing cut out helps.

10. gigemzach macrumors 6502

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

12. Built macrumors 68020

Amen. Do people just sit around all day trying to figure out ways to take issue with these products?

Here we go again...It was bad enough living through the iPhone 4 antenna-gate.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No point in waiting. Any device with an antenna is going to suffer signal strength loss when you put something between the source and the antenna that radio waves don't like to go through. You are one of those things.

14. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Isn't the wi-fi antenna located behind the apple logo on the rear of the device? I don't see how holding it would dwindle the signal unless you were covering the logo.

EDIT: I just remembered the iMac has the wi-fi antenna behind the logo as well. So if I'm wrong about the iPad, that's why.

15. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    ^ Me every time I see a thread with the word 'Antenna-gate' in it.