Antennas picture 2009

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Chasingcharlie, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Chasingcharlie macrumors newbie

Can someone please point me to a clear picture of where the three attach. Is it safe to use solder and when upgrading to an ssd what should be done with the thermal sensor?

I tried to find a way to search the forum and didn't see it. If I've missed it please point it out to me.

I'm a recent convert to macs so please be gentle.

It's ok to send an attachment to my email.

Thanks
    Charlie

2. Richard8655, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

Richard8655 macrumors 6502

I thought this nicely addressed HD/SSD installation for the 2009, with good antenna location and thermal sensor handling description. I don't think solder is necessary.

3. Chasingcharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried to stop that video numerous times but it's too quick (for me) to stop it at the right time. The tech in the video swipes the DVD in quickly. Plus there is no answer in the video about what to do with the sensor. I'm 75 so I'm not as quick as some of you younger guys. I'm a vet in IT but it was almost entirely on pcs. Even with that I was able to update to an ssd on an imac!

Thanks
    Charlie

4. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Yes, understood. With a little patience, the video can be frozen to see the connection locations. But you're right, it does go by pretty fast. The video does address the temperature sensor quite a ways into the video. This is a freeze of the 3 antenna locations (orange rectangles):

Attached Files:

5. Chasingcharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got those. I mean the internal connections. When I was putting in ram they all came loose. That's why I asked about solder too and whether it was safe or not. Is there something else I can use other than so soldering gun and solder to keep the in place?

Thanks
    Charlie

6. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Soldering memory stick connections probably would work ok, but not advised unless last resort. If they go bad or wanting to upgrade, removal may cause more damage than expected. Others may want to comment who've worked on Mini internals more than me.

7. Chasingcharlie thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean soldering the antenna ends at their connector spots. The memory is there and the mini sees all 8 gigs.

8. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Those antenna connections are not rock solid tight. If they sit reasonably well without movement on their connectors, that should be fine (as the video shows).

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR