anther unlock ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stangfreak1984, Jul 28, 2011.

1. stangfreak1984 macrumors newbie

i traded out my 32gig ipod touch 4th gen for a 8gig 3gs, if i leave the carrier on automatic it says nothing, but if i put it on tmobile which is what sim card i will pick up tomorrow for it. it suppose to be unlocked. it is jailbroken i been using cydia. when i select tmobile from the list i get a msg pop up. here is the screen shot from it. it does have a tmobile sim card in it right now, but it looks like its burnt up black smug on it.

[​IMG]
    Iphone by stangfreak1984, on Flickr

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

3. stangfreak1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

will do, heading to tmobile tomorrow. what other option do i have. or am i limited to tmobile and att?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes.

Also, you won't be able to get 3G data with T-Mobile. Only EDGE data. You can get 3G with AT&T.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

What NO 3g from t mobile !

Edge while ok kinda sucks !

How on earth can a network get away with an inferior service !

In the Uk t-mobile have 3g ? Are they the same company ??

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

In the US they do have 3G but the bands are not compatible with any iphone model. They use a nonstandard 3G frequency that is not compatible with most world GSM phones out there.

7. stangfreak1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

not to worried about net really, i have wifi every where i go. and the only app that ill have to worry about is pandora. att wants 50 for the plan, plus another 25 for data, as where tmobile 50 striaght up so im good with that lol

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

T-Mobile US' 3G frequencies are non-standard like AJ said, and are different than T-Mo UK's frequencies.

I'd go with T-Mo then.

9. stangfreak1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the plan, but i heard rumors that att bough out att?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they're in the process of trying to buy Tmobile but they havent got the government approval yet to start the process.
    There has been lots of opposition so far so I doubt it will be easy for AT&T.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Not trying to be an ass but when you buy a $500 smartphone then procede to use it on a network that doesn't officially support it you should at least do some research..."Shoot first ask questions later" is not the best way to do things...;):apple:

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

AT&T cannot buy out AT&T. Unless you are referring to the proposed T-Mobile absorption, of course. :D

AT&T has not yet received permission to do so. I personally don't think they will be able to go through with it as it would literally turn them into a GSM monopoly in the USA.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope you're right.
    We need more competition and better/cheaper options in the US.
    Not less, the way its going we will be stuck with only 2 carriers to choose from and they can charge us all an arm and a leg.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Exactly. I don't think the government will allow for such control. I believe Microsoft got into trouble for it a really long time ago, if I'm not mistaken.

Charging Americans whatever they want for service, like you stated, is exactly the reason why I don't think this is going to go through. Personally, I think that T-Mobile should change their 3G frequency to be compatible with the current iPhone and then start carrying the new iPhone in September. Obviously it's too late for any of that to happen but it would have been an ideal situation and T-Mobile could have become even more of a threat to AT&T.

15. stangfreak1984, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

stangfreak1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats what i meant lol my bad

why didnt cost me anything at all, so it didnt cost me anything at all, not trying to be an ass. but nothing like a free $500 smartphone lol. the ipod i traded for it was a gift from a ex