Anther vote for AppleCare.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tacomahunter, Mar 1, 2009.

1. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

So after reading all the posts about battery issues, I called AC today. With my 16 month old MBP and 66 loadcycles on my battery and a max charge of 4305 Apple is sending me a brand new battery. They did have me send them a profile of my computer first but all is well and the replacement is on the way. I have to say that I have learned more useful information off this site that has saved me a TON of $$, time and potential aggravation. 1 vote for macrumors and one vote for AppleCare service!!!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Only 66 cycles on a 16 month old MBP?

Sounds like you've been leaving it plugged in all the time which kills the battery.

4. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Since I leave mine plugged in most of the time (it's only a month old) and have researched this issue, could you provide references for your categorical statement re: killing the battery?

Thanks.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

-1 ^^^ I'm not sure where you got your information Nick, but I've got a "1" cycle count on my Classic MBP 2.5 of a couple weeks, and I had a "10" cycle count on a MBAir that was 7 months-old and the mAh on both were either higher or within 5 mAh of the original mAh when I took each out of their box brand new...:confused:

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I agree.

If you don't use your battery a lot, seems like you don't have much use for a portable computer and would probably be better off with a desktop. I can't cite any specific sources, but if you keep the notebook plugged in all the time, you leave the battery unused, and the battery will lose maximum charge and health as a result.

7. deijmaster macrumors newbie

deijmaster

Lack of knowledge more dangerous than plugged-in laptop

Clearly the you have on batteries is limited. Either plugged or not, please take the time to read on lithiun-ion batteries. If you are worried about the battery, you should consider temperture, cycles and overall quality of the battery, long before plugged in or not.

Leaving the battery on a counter for a year a 35 degrees C is much more dangerous than leaving the laptop plugged-in...

Adding to that, you opinion on he should not be using a laptop for his needs is ridiculous. Let the man be with a laptop if he chooses to!

; )

8. tacomahunter thread starter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

IF I had a desktop instead of a laptop, I would not be able to sit here with my computer in my lap, in the living room responding to what type of hardware I should have or not... Funny how just a comment of how great it is to have AppleCare and the service that they provided me today garners such interesting comments on my own personal choices and why I made them. I guess that if I "left" it plugged in ALL the time, Apple would have figured that out and told me that I was SOL, right???:confused:

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I meant no offense by my comment, sorry if I offended you. I don't mean to tell you how to live your life or anything; I'm just saying my own personal opinion on the matter.

Oh, and here,
    All I'm saying is that if you want to maximize your battery health, maybe you might want to consider maintenance like that.

10. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Now that's useful info! Thanks.

11. wesrk macrumors 6502a

same thing happened to me last september, I called on a friday at 2 pm, I had my replacement Monday morning... awesome service.

12. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If only AppleCare covered accidental damage...
    I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes: