Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AI safety and research company Anthropic has announced the launch of its Claude iOS app, offering users easier access to the conversational agent from their iPhone.

claude-ios-app.jpeg

Similar to OpenAI's ChatGPT, the Claude chatbot operates by processing large amounts of text data to understand and generate human-like responses. Its architecture is based on machine learning techniques including large language models (LLMs).

Whereas ChatGPT is foremost designed for versatility and scalability, Anthropic says its focus is on creating a "steerable" AI so that users can direct the model's style and content more effectively, thereby mitigating potential harmful outputs and biases from the outset.

The AI company says its Claude iOS app features:
  • Seamless syncing with web chats: Pick up where you left off across devices.
  • Vision capabilities: Use photos from your library, take new photos, or upload files so you can have real-time image analysis, contextual understanding, and mobile-centric use cases on the go.
  • Open access: Users across all plans, including Pro and Team, can download the app free of charge.
According to Anthropic, early testers report that the Claude app is exceptional for brainstorming ideas on the go, getting quick answers to questions, or analyzing scenes and images from the real world.

In March, Anthropic announced that its Claude 3 language model surpassed ChatGPT and Google's Gemini in various critical industry benchmarks. According to the company, Claude 3 excelled in areas including graduate-level reasoning and multilingual math and coding, among other metrics.

Anthropic also highlighted that their most advanced version of Claude 3, named Opus, demonstrated capabilities close to human level, particularly in delivering quick responses, making it well-suited for complex and urgent tasks.

Claude for iPhone and iPad is a free download available from the App Store. [Direct Link] Users can get 5x more Claude usage than its free plan allows and access Anthropic's most powerful model (Claude 3 Opus) by upgrading to a paid Pro plan, which is $20 per month.

Article Link: Anthropic Announces Claude AI Chatbot App for iPhone and iPad

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
The technology and power behind these tools is amazing.

And I hate them.

Emotionless. Robotic. Sterile.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that..."
Another way to put this is that you loved them so much -- the idea that you dreamed up about them -- that you expected them to be something that they were never intended to be. You romanticized the whole thing from that start, and then you were disappointed. Imagine saying that about a toaster or a car. If you never intended a toaster to love you back, you would never accuse it of lacking emotions. You would feel fine once you realize this and stop the daydream, but just use these things as intended -- soulless servants.

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
Is Claude actually any better than ChatGPT or Gemini? Asking since it seems determined to get my phone number when I try to use it.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Another way to put this is that you loved them so much -- the idea that you dreamed up about them -- that you expected them to be something that they were never intended to be. You romanticized the whole thing from that start, and then you were disappointed. Imagine saying that about a toaster or a car. If you never intended a toaster to love you back, you would never accuse it of lacking emotions. You would feel fine once you realize this and stop the daydream, but just use these things as intended -- soulless servants.
Not sure it's "another way to put" what I wrote... The problem is that people are not using them as servants - they are using them instead of their own brains, and often passing the results off as their own. Bowman managed to disconnect Hal, but not without difficulty, and after he'd killed the four other crew members. "And one fine day" we'll be reminded of Dr McCoy's words in the classic Star Trek episode The Ultimate Computer: "The damn thing's got no off switch!"

Warbands

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
$20 a month for an AI app makes no sense, especially with the rumor that iOS 18 being more AI enabled. Who needs an AI chatbot so badly that they would spend $20 a month on it?

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Claude 3 has been magnificent in my test. It’s not just the knowledge base, it’s the ability to feed it so much data.

That being said, one of my pain points of Ai continues to be the reliance on network access (mostly for privacy issues). As we can do more and more things with Ai and build more complex projects, security and privacy becomes all the more important. This is why the rumors of Apple investing in on device Ai really interest me. Let’s hope they can make it at least 70% as good.

Reactions: coolfactor

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Is Claude actually any better than ChatGPT or Gemini? Asking since it seems determined to get my phone number when I try to use it.
They are doing themselves a disservice here. That's the reason I never tried it. I already have options that are good enough and connected to my ecosystem.

• Disagree
Reactions: coolfactor

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And not in Germany. Alas...

And not in Canada. I saw an app borrowing Claude's appearance and using Claude behind the scenes, but was charging a subscription fee. No free tier. These leachers need to take a hike. At least be original!

EDITOR: Please update the article to indicate that this app is likely only in the US.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Be 100% certain that you are using the official app. I've already been fooled once. Same colours, uses Claude, but was an app called "Chat AI" and was charging a subscription fee. Slimy.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No thanks

Totally tapped out on our current buzzword fad (AI)

This is currently being pushed HARD (too hard) by folks with agendas, just like Crypto and the Metaverse (and others)

The Crypto industry is full of JUNK info. Fly-by-night operations. So many wannabes.

Generative AI (the latest trend, not just AI in general) is a newborn baby in the grand scheme and has tremendous potential to really change the world. It will become so good, it will be "invisible". Just there where and when you need it.

The Metaverse is actually a really cool concept. It's the Internet on steroids, and there's no escaping it.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know. Expecting to hear a lot about AI on iPhones and other Apple devices at WWDC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.