Anti-Bacterial on iPad

berthenderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Okay, so am not going to directly spray my iPad with anti-bacterial, but I just want to clarify something. I know Apple says you have to be careful what you use to clean their equipment, but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to wipe down my work surface with anti-bac, leave it to dry and then put my equipment back on the desk?

It probably sounds stupid, but am just being cautious.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Okay, so am not going to directly spray my iPad with anti-bacterial, but I just want to clarify something. I know Apple says you have to be careful what you use to clean their equipment, but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to wipe down my work surface with anti-bac, leave it to dry and then put my equipment back on the desk?

It probably sounds stupid, but am just being cautious.
As long as the surface has dried, you should be good to go.

ndrosubiyanto

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
Indonesia
Why would you do that? I mean, as soon your finger move from your iPad screen (let's say for a cup of coffee), your hand will expose to germs?

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I haven't used an anti-bacterial (like Lysol or something), but I have used an alcohol prep pad and wiped it down before with no ill effects. Might want to try that it might be less damaging.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I've heard (from random, not authoritative sources) that alcohol can eat away at the screen, but I doubt that and use it anyway. You can write on it with Sharpie and wipe it right off with alcohol.

How about you just avoid the anti-bacterial and build up some immunity? I'd only wipe it just to clean grease and stuff off of it. ;)

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
My only concern is that it could destroy the coating that helps its fingerprint resistance.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I haven't used an anti-bacterial (like Lysol or something), but I have used an alcohol prep pad and wiped it down before with no ill effects. Might want to try that it might be less damaging.
Apple says very clearly that alcohol will damage the iPad. From the Apple website:
iPads
iPad and iPad 2

Handle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I would be more concerned about your own health from using antibacterial products everywhere, than the iPad’s.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I just put it on my hands. If I've spread Peanut butter on my iPad which I've done, I wipe with a microfiber cloth, then follow with iClear spray, and then wipe again.

I eat a lot of salty foods (cashews, walnuts, etc) and would get on my iPad or Mac. Before I touch anything I will either wash my hands or use Purrell.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
This. I use rubbing alcohol and a soft microfiber cloth. You don't need much alcohol, either; just enough to lightly cover the screen. This will kill virtually all of the germs and bacteria on the iPad.