Anti-Bacterial on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by berthenderson, Aug 29, 2012.

1. berthenderson macrumors member

Okay, so am not going to directly spray my iPad with anti-bacterial, but I just want to clarify something. I know Apple says you have to be careful what you use to clean their equipment, but I was wondering if it would be okay for me to wipe down my work surface with anti-bac, leave it to dry and then put my equipment back on the desk?

It probably sounds stupid, but am just being cautious.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

As long as the surface has dried, you should be good to go.

3. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

Why would you do that? I mean, as soon your finger move from your iPad screen (let's say for a cup of coffee), your hand will expose to germs?

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I haven't used an anti-bacterial (like Lysol or something), but I have used an alcohol prep pad and wiped it down before with no ill effects. Might want to try that it might be less damaging.

5. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I've heard (from random, not authoritative sources) that alcohol can eat away at the screen, but I doubt that and use it anyway. You can write on it with Sharpie and wipe it right off with alcohol.

How about you just avoid the anti-bacterial and build up some immunity? I'd only wipe it just to clean grease and stuff off of it. ;)

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

My only concern is that it could destroy the coating that helps its fingerprint resistance.

7. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Apple says very clearly that alcohol will damage the iPad. From the Apple website:

8. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I would be more concerned about your own health from using antibacterial products everywhere, than the iPad’s.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you use a screen protector then you wont 'destroy' the coating and you can have a 'clean' ipad.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I just put it on my hands. If I've spread Peanut butter on my iPad which I've done, I wipe with a microfiber cloth, then follow with iClear spray, and then wipe again.

I eat a lot of salty foods (cashews, walnuts, etc) and would get on my iPad or Mac. Before I touch anything I will either wash my hands or use Purrell.

11. WesCole macrumors 6502a

This. I use rubbing alcohol and a soft microfiber cloth. You don't need much alcohol, either; just enough to lightly cover the screen. This will kill virtually all of the germs and bacteria on the iPad.

12. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

It surely does !! And it makes me think dont u have any better things to do ?

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

^^^ This