Anti-drop hdd sensors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shiato storm, Oct 24, 2008.

1. shiato storm macrumors member

whats the general feeling on these in terms of updating hdd in a MBP? looking at either seagate 7200.3 or wd scorpio (black) 320gb drives and both have a sort of sensor to detect shakes/drops etc. would this help or hinder the running of things?

oh and any idea which one my be quieter? ;)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since the MBP has an accelerometer built-in you want to buy drives without the sensor.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... Interesting theory there!! You know, I have WD's installed on my MBP and never had any problems with the Mac or the HD. Why not have both installed? Wouldn't the extra protection be better in the wrong run cause the Mac's built-in accelerometer would cut in at a different time to the WD's. Is there any actual evidence to say we should avoid buying drives without the sensor?

:confused:

4. shiato storm thread starter macrumors member

i was thinking there may be some conflict between the computer's anti-shock system and the in-hdd sensor...?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. They are two different systems. The accelerometer in the MBP activates when it senses the MBP moving while on. This movement could be while you have it on and in your hand, not just in a free fall. The anti-shock built into most drives is specifically to protect against a free fall drop. The two do no cancel each other out. Each is self contained.

6. shiato storm thread starter macrumors member

cheers, its not the cancelling out but the over-activity I was wondering about.