Anti Glare and Glossy Color/Clarity Differences?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonm, Jul 3, 2011.

1. madisonm, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

madisonm macrumors newbie

I originally went to the apple store wanting the 15" glossy hi-res, but they didn't have this specification so I went home with the anti glare 15" hi-res. When I got home I started reading up on the AG vs. G debate, and started to worry about the difference between screens (and I also prefer the black border vs silver bezel). My apple store is too busy to compare the models directly side by side, so I'm not sure how big the difference is.

My question is, how do these two screens compare in terms of how vibrant the colors are? Besides the colors, are there any major differences between the two (besides the obvious reflections), and does anyone find the text on the hi-res AG to be a bit more blurry?

I think I've read every single page on the internet pertaining to this debate, but I haven't been able to find much comparison on the less obvious screen differences. I returned the anti glare and I'm waiting a few days to decide which screen I want more.

I'm a grad school student and will be using my laptop primarily for notes in class, writing papers in the library, occasionally some games like WoW (but I've been playing on a base Sony Vaio so the depth of the colors isn't a big issue when you've been playing on low graphics settings). I like to use my laptop all around, but rarely outside, however sometimes by windows.

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I made an order for a high-resolution anti-glare model yesterday, and I went home doing what you did; Reading about the screens after the fact. So I'm also interested in what people think about the two screens.

I have quite light sensitive eyes and I do find my 13" MB's screen uncomfortable at times so maybe the anti-glare is indeed the best choice for me. Would not like losing "colors that pops" or sharpness though.

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have now owned both 15'' models and finally settled on the hi res antgl
    and I just love the thing! My eyes do not suffer or anything ect... blah blah blah. Also I really love the lack of finger prints from opening and closing this thing:D

4. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Let me get this straight. You went to the Apple store, saw the AG screen and liked it enough to actually buy it, and THEN started reading the pages and pages of glossy vs. AG debate. That's a recipe for disaster :)

Honestly, you will find people on each side swearing that what they like is the best, and the other is unusable. I read up on it a bit before realizing that it is such a subjective topic, I went to the store and played with the 17" glossy (they didn't have hi-res glossy 15") and 15" AG. I liked the AG, so that's what I bought, and haven't given it another thought - I love it.

Polbit

5. madisonm thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha what happened is I decided hi-res was a 100% necessity. So when I decided on glossy hi-res and went to the store I found out my only option there was the AG hi-res. My Mom was buying it for me as a college graduation gift so I didn't want to be extremely picky, and since the store was insanely busy she wanted to get out of there ASAP.

When I got home with the AG I was sort of bummed about not having Glossy so I read up on the issue to try to convince myself they were pretty much the same. People are so dramatic about the color difference and how "washed out" the AG is so it psychs me out. I also noticed my eyes were having a bit of trouble focusing on text on the AG, and I wondered if its from my allergies, having my first ever matte screen, or if my eyes just don't deal well with the AG.

Anyone who has both, which display do you find to be more crisp? And is the AG truly a lot more washed out?

6. madisonm thread starter macrumors newbie

Also meant to ask, did you find AG to be brighter than glossy?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

before it get into this, let me say: it's purely preference, based on a number of factors. neither is definitively better than the other, it's all about what you prefer.

with that being said, the colors are more vibrant on a glossy screen. there is some (or a lot, depending on the lighting) glare, but it's not that bad in my opinion. turning the brightness up usually gets rid of all the glare, or moving into a more/less lightened environment. it's all about your positioning in reference to light sources and such.

some may say that the AG is better for editing in the like. i agree if you are outside or in an overbearingly lit room, but honestly editing on a glossy screen is not bad at all. it's not really a mirror either unless the screen is blank (times when your desktop is not up; start up, waking from sleep, etc. mainly whenever it is black).

this may seem biased because i have a glossy screen but AG deserves a good word. it's a great look as well and you really don't have to worry about where you are or adjusting lighting, and there are those that prefer it as well.

my advice: if you truly don't know at all, get down to that store again and try to look at them side by side.

8. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I wouldn't do a decision about what screen version to have on my MBP without looking at them side by side at the Apple store.

If it's too busy, then just wait until it's your turn but then do the full turn and don't cut your decision process short.

If you want a quiet decision environment then come back at a less busy hour.

You'll be looking at this screen for a long time...

9. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

+1

You are not getting this screen to look at for anybody else but yourself. So you need to decide what you like best. I can tell you that to me the colors look as bright as on the glossy screen, are more accurate, and I like not having the glare when sitting by the windows. Somebody else will tell you that AG colors are completely washed out and it's not sharp and they get headaches, etc, etc. Unfortunately this isn't a CPU speed discussion, where concrete numbers can be presented.

Really, go back to the store, look at both (most likely the 17" glossy and 15" AG, as stores don't carry 15" hi-res), then decide.

Polbit

10. likegadgets macrumors 6502

You will notice some differences when side by side. Once you take it home, either one is a great screen. On my 2008 model I had the glossy. When I replaced it with the 2011 I went for the Anti Glare. I really like the Anti Glare screen. I often have it side by side with my iMac and Cinema display which are glossy, and can appreciate the pros of the AG screen (no glare).

11. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

I agree 100% with the posters saying you have got to go and compare the screens for your self. I did and it sure helped me make a decision. I went opposite of what I thought was going to be my choice.

Everyone sees things differently. And remember, this is a PERSONAL computer and it needs to meet your PERSONAL needs.

12. madisonm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the input :)

At this time of the year my store is literally NEVER not busy, I've been back 3 times now and even though its an hour drive there I can never get a good opportunity to compare them side by side. Someone is always coming up to them or taking one. They are pretty separated and cannot be moved. I'll try going back again on Tuesday and see if I can talk to a representative or something about moving them.

My #1 concern is the clarity and colors on the screen. If I could be sure that the colors were pretty darn close and that the sharpness of the screen was the same I'd go with AG. I'm worried that with the AG its just not as wonderful as the Glossy's contrast.

13. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

To me it seems as if you've got your heart set on the glossy hi-res.

You want the more vibrant colours and like the black bezel more than the silver.

If I were to buy another MBP tomorrow, I would go the AG route. I currently have the glossy, while the colours are brighter and pop more, I'd rather not have any glare. But this is no more than a personal preference and everyone is different.

But again, it seems to me that you're more or less decided on the glossy hi-res.

14. islanders macrumors 6502

The color is very good. However, I also thought the text was too blurry for me to use as a every day computer. I got the 13 and will use another monitor.

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

15. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

You are the customer. Apple is a pretty customer concerned company.

Take your time.

I have been to the Apple store planning the next upgrade, and the store was full, too, and still, the guy I was talking to never gave any sign of haste or that I should hurry up.

They simply have good people in their stores, and many of them are Apple fans themselves.

So there's really no reason to feel pressured or that you are taking somebody's time.

Remember, the store was built so you can go there to take the employee's time to reach a decision and then buy an Apple product.

Have fun buying a computer and don't feel pressured.

16. gmans46 macrumors regular

went with the ag and so glad i did. Im constantly near windows and even when im not and using my mothers 13in mbp it annoys the crap out of me seeing fingerprints and myself well trying the browse the web or watch a movie. I think AG is better but as others have stated see for yourself.

17. madisonm thread starter macrumors newbie

Despite what it may seem like I'm actually leaning more towards the anti glare now! I seem like a crazy person

I'm just worried about blurry text vs the glossy. I'm headed to the apple store tomorrow (another location) so hopefully I can get a good comparison in!!!

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why don't you just compare the high res anti glare with a regular glossy? If it's colors and glare you're trying to spot the difference of, the resolution wouldn't matter.

Also, you keep talking about blurry text. The only question that matters to you is, does it look blurry when YOU look at it? Don't worry about what the web says, trust your own eyes.

Ultimately, this is just a tool man... get whatever tool that makes your life easy. Don't fret over what others prefer their tools to be. We all work in different conditions with different needs. Personally I don't see how anyone could settle for a 120GB SSD when 600GB ones are available - but again, different needs, different preferences. Get the spec that works for you, keep moving on to other features until you actually get to use your computer for computing.

19. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had a 2008 anti-glare MBP and replaced it with a 2011 glossy MBP when it came out this year. The reflection on the glossy didn't bother me and I liked the vibrant colors, but when I started to edit photos the colors and exposure were off when I viewed it on other monitors. So I replaced it with the anti-glare version and took a $320 lost on four months of ownership. I am much happier with the anti-glare. It may not be as vibrant, but it's more accurate. The added bonus is no more keyboard imprints on the display when I close the lid.

20. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Colors on the glossy does pop a little bit more, but the trade off isn't worth it. What you get is a migraine, and getting frustrated to keep seeing your reflection in the screen. Anti glare matte is much easier on the eyes, and you can actually see everything on the screen. I think the screen is beautiful and the silver bezel looks better too IMO.

Glad that you settled for the hi res anti glare, now enjoy your mac without being burdened by reflections!

21. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I have a 13" MBP (well, work supplied it but I use it) and the 15" AG MBP, both 2011 models. I don't find any difference in the colour representation - both look equally good from that perspective. But the glare and reflections on the 13" MBP drive me nuts. I don't however, find the AG fuzzy or indistinct (unless I take my glasses off ;))

As far as I am aware, both AG and glossy use the same panel (there's a thread on here where people discuss the panels they have), the difference is the glossy model has a glass front over it. Whether there is an extra coating on the AG to give it the AG I don't know, but I would think so.

22. islanders macrumors 6502

I tend to agree, at least try out the glossy. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and most people here really like the screen they have. If the reflections don't bother you, the the text and screen should be much better on the glossy.

As everyone says it really depends on your on personal use.

When I called to return mine and asked why I wanted to return it, I said I didn't like the anti glare screen. Nothing else. They offered to pay for the return shipping, and emailed the shipping label, and asked if the service was ok. Yeah!