Anti glare conversion from apple ?????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howareyoukk, Nov 9, 2013.

1. howareyoukk macrumors regular

I have decided to replace my hi res glossy display to matt. However, Iam not sure if somehow apple will do it for me (of course I will pay for the new screen) so Iam just wondering if u guys know anything . Because i don't feel safe everytime I think of getting my replacement done outside. Thanks in advanced :)

2. sabbyp macrumors regular

cMBP or retina? I'm not sure if apple can do that, absolutely not on a retina anyway.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Apple doesn't have any matte screens on any of the newer notebooks anymore. Only the old 15" unibody had a matte option. They also dumped the glass so they are less reflective by default and AG films work much better applies to glossy display without a thick glass sheet.
    If you want matte on these newer notebooks (Air & Retina) just buy yourself a decent AG/AR film.
    I would get one of these.
    http://www.protectionfilms24.com/pr...ml?geraeteklasse=108&marke=Apple&modell=26267
    DQCM30 is meant for high res screens and adds AR and apperantly some matte.
    ARMR200 has strong AG properties but they only seem to offer it for the non retina models. Probably not ideal for this high res.
    ADQ is only AR and no AG.
    DQC160 is nothing but a screen protector for easy cleaning.

4. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is cmbp 15 2012 model :)

----------

Sorry.. Mine is the cmbp 2012 model :)

5. troop231 macrumors 603

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Fixing an antiglare film onto a glossy display is going to ruin the color gamut of the display, giving it a slight tinge of a certain color, depending on film.

The reason why I bought my Sandy Bridge MBP with a matte screen was because since it's affixed by Apple, the screen would have been calibrated to be as good as the glossy ones.

7. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Have you ever used one? It doesn't change the gamut at all. The color shimmer appears only from an angle and it is only the reflected light but not if viewed from a normal viewing position. In low to medium brightness environments there is no difference in color accuracy (which is i think what you mean and they did a test on notebookcheck) and in high brightness environements you can still see stuff well where other screens fail. There is really no benefit to having a blinding reflection of natural color ;).
    It doesn't affect the colors coming from the screen at all, it only dimms the overall picture by 3-5%.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, I have used one and am disappointed. It gives a greenish tinge to everything. I tried it on my older 2009 17" MBP (glossy).

I'm glad I customized my Sandy Bridge 15" with an antiglare screen.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple does not do any post-sale upgrades or mods.
    They will not even put in a larger HDD after sale.

11. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

NEW UPDATES: i called apple store today and the girl who answered my call did not even understand what i was trying to do, she kept saying that they did not have any anti-glare replacement parts. Then I called my local apple authorised reparier afterwards and they claimed that they will only replace a glossy screen on my mac IF the one I have is broken. It means that they don't do screen conversion or things like that….): One my of local computer store said they can do it for me and it will charge me around 250 dollars. But I don't really trust them and my computer is only 2 months old and i don't wish to screw it up so fast…Iam running out of options here…maybe I should try calling other apple authorised repairers and see what they will say. In the meantime, i think i will just order a moshi ag protector from moshi..because i can't stand every time i watch a movie or doing work on my laptop i can always see my reflections on the screen. It will be appericated if some of you have done the screen conversion before from glossy to matt and tell me how you done it and what you think of the quality afterwards. If i want to go through with the screen conversion option, I must ensure that the matt screen comes from apple and an apple authorised technician (or someone knows what they are doing) helps me to put it on.

Sorry for such a long post…and i regert of getting a hi-res glossy display at the first place. ):

12. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

Also, i basically read through every screen conversions thread for macbook pro on google and I found out that there aren't any threads talking about the process of converting a hi-res glossy to an ORIGINAL hi-res anti-glare. ORIGINAL means the replacement parts of anti-glare display directly from apple, the one has white bezel and everything…not the one they show you on teachrestore...