Anti-glare display protectors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NC MacGuy, Sep 20, 2009.

1. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I just bought & wasted $20+ on the Photodon anti-glare protector for my 13" MBP. The speckling/rainbow effect on white pages just killed it for me even though the anti-glare was nice and the protector was well made. I've read that due to the extra glass panel between the display and the protector, it's hard to get a decent ant-glare shield.

The Moshi iVisor AG doesn't actually adhere to the glass and I may give it a shot next. Anyone have one? If so, how does it work? In theory, it should work better than the Photodon but would really like to hear from someone before I drop another $40 and wait with bated breath for the USPS guy again only to be let down.

2. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I'd had a moshi ivisor on a 13" mbp and a 15" mbp. both equal in terms of performance.

The adhesive is on the black border. It's not overly sticky, so is easy to remove if you dont like it, or if u get a few specks of dust underneath it which you need to blow or wipe off. There is a transparent section at the top and bottom, for the isight and 'macbook pro' text respectively.

I'd say it reduces brightness slightly, and yes on whites it the screen appears a little grainy, but for me the ability to use it outside and with a window directly behind me outweighs any sort of minimal distortion.

I also have the moshi palmguards which are also a very high quality product.

3. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've read some pretty good things about the Moshi for installation because of the lack of full adhesion. The speckling is what go me on the Photodon. I'm curious to see if it's any less using the Moshi. Unfortunately screen protectors are non-returnable items once peeled and you can't check one out without buying.

Speckling wasn't bad on darks but killed white pages and since I use Word/Excel a bunch it just was a no go. I'm not bothered much by the dimming.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is a 14-minute review (effective part is about 3 minutes) of the Moshi one. It's not bad at all really from what I can tell but it did mute the colors some and it looked like it dimmed the screen. I am sure there are other reviews, but not being in the market I have not done much research.

5. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Morpheus on youtube? If so, seen it but he doesn't really go into much detail beyond the characteristic blather and ease of install.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes that is the one. Like I said, about 3 minutes is probably useful but not beyond that. It's a gamble no doubt and eventually you'll wind up spending a great deal on these things.

7. will0407 macrumors 6502a

yeah, as jessica said, it's a gamble as to whether this will suit you or not. Unless you see one in the flesh, it's hard for anyone to show you the quality of these as a camera isnt going to give an accurate representation of the potential issues you're looking for.