anti-glare film for mbp... will it work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aye5882, Oct 16, 2008.

1. aye5882 macrumors member

i'm in the bandwagon of the anti-glossy sentiments but i really want the new mbp. i was thinking of adding an anti-glare film to neutralize the reflections but will it also help with the color accuracy?

i hope this will be the fix to the glossy screen problem!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

They do help kill the reflection. I don't know about color accuracy - the one I used muted things slightly but I'm not sure if it was just the loss of the gloss that made it seem that way.

3. micol124 macrumors member

micol124

Where are you buying your antiglare? I just ordered the new MBP, and I DEFINATELY HATE glossy, so anything that helps is great :D

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

Though it may say "NEW" MacBook and MacBook Pro, I suspect those are for the old one and they just never updated it. I say that because it says (black and white) next to "NEW MacBook 13"", which would seem to be referring to the old plastic MacBooks.

The new MacBooks just came out, so it may be a few weeks before there is one made specifically for it, but keep an eye out here as well. And it probably wouldn't hurt to email powersupport to see if those are really for the newest MacBooks or not.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Is there a separation between the glass and the front of the screen? If there is I can't see how the film wouldn't fuzz the screen.

6. migsev macrumors regular

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not muted as in fuzzed, but muted as in a slight change in the perception of brightness.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I would suggest giving it a shot. A lot of people hate glossy at first then end up loving it.

9. BlizzardWolf macrumors member

I bought this for my 13.3" Sony Vaio SR and it works really well... it makes the screen matte but the colors are the same.. only complaint is that when you put it on, you have to make sure there's no dust on your screen or the back of the film or else it'll show up when you turn on the screen. You can use scotch tape to remove the dust on the back of the film but it takes a long time and is a hassle. Overall I really like it and I don't have headaches compared to when using a glossy screen.

Edit: The antiglare film on that site is for the old macbooks, not the new aluminum ones. The size of the film only covers 13.3"

10. migsev macrumors regular

the 15inch one has a size of 13.3? the site says its for new macbooks. i'm looking to get one of these myself...

11. bitesize macrumors member

I have the Power Support antiglare films for my iphone. It works really well. Since the new macbook pros has glass displays similar to that of the iphone, I think all there is to do is for Power Support to cut the films to the new dimensions. The nice thing is unlike regular films, the iphone ones cling to the glass screen using static attraction.

I'll mostly likely get that if they decide to come out with one for the macbook pro.