anti-glare film for Retina screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvdv, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kvdv macrumors member

My current MBP has a matte anti-glare screen which I like a lot. The new retina is less reflective, but still no match for a matte screen. I found a company that produces high quality anti-glare film specifically for retina screens (http://www.powersupportusa.com/acce...hd-anti-glare-film-for-retina-display-15.html), but they don't ship to Europe. Does anyone know another quality film for retina, available in Europe?

Thanks,
    Kris

2. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I bought a 15" MBP with anti-glare screen after using a friend's 13" with no anti-glare screen. The anti-glare made a huge difference between the two. When I purchased my retina 15" MBP i was in a similar position as you were thinking I wouldn't be able to live with it. However i've never really noticed anytime when I say to myself "I wish i had the anti-glare." Like you said the screen is much less reflective, but you're just worrying yourself too much. That's just my advice, I can't help you find any anti-glare screens worth buying.

edit: powersupport makes some of the best matte screen protectors in my opinion. I've used them for the ipad and iphone in the past.

3. Maczor macrumors regular

My personal opinion is that such films just make things a bit worse.
    Sure, they cut the glare a bit more, but you also usually lose screen clarity.

4. FullCtPress macrumors newbie

Have you considered 3M anti-glare/privacy screen?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...NQ2WQ15_ZSHZGSXVCT_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d&x=0&y=0

5. kvdv thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the interesting feedback.
    Maybe I've got to give the retina a chance before ordering film?

The 3M is not good for me because, although I love anti-glare, I also love a high viewing angle. :)

Kris

6. dndandrea macrumors 6502

I can view the retina display at pretty much every given angle you throw at me. I was just appreciating this the other day actually.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Agreed. I want images as crisp as possible for photo editing. If glare is a problem, I change the room lighting accordingly.

8. kvdv thread starter macrumors member

I understand, but I often work on the road in environments where I cannot control the lighting. If I could, I'd opt for a native matte/anti-glare screen as I have now on my old MBP.

Or do you think that the loss of sharpness is not only with 3rd party films, but also with the native (late) anti-glare screen from Apple?

9. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

have fun ruining the display with an anti glare cover. the difference between apples anti glare on the normal 15" and s screen cover, is thata apples isdirectly o the screen is there is no rainbow or pixelated effect.

10. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Yes, the matte screen BTO option from Apple is pretty much the same. Lights aren't as bright in reflections but you get a different issue; lights are spread over the screen and can actually worsen the issue.

I would take another look at the retina screen. The glare may have been reduced enough where you can keep the crisp quality of the display.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For us the Retina display is only for initial image editing in the field, reading emails, browsing the web...etc. A 15" screen, no matter how good, does not replace a 27" or 30" high resolution calibrated monitor for doing final photo editing and color adjustments. Of course once photos are finished, the Retina display makes a good presentation device in the field for showing clients your work.

For us the Retina screen was only one reason to go with rMBP. The other reasons were all solid state (no HDs to crash) and thinner and lighter body.