Anti-glare film/protector for 24" or 27" LED LCD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by obelix, Sep 23, 2010.

1. obelix macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm a photographer and designer and I just can't stand the glare on the new LED LCD displays. I have a 30" cinema display, but it keeps flickering with my new MacBookPro. I've called Apple about it, but they can't offer any help since the 30" is out of warranty. I have a 24" LED LCD cinema display, but I can't stand the glare.

I'm wondering what anti-glare solutions are out there? I found this one... but perhaps there are better options.

http://www.photodon.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=AppleCinema&Product_Code=RJ1-3220-01K

2. obelix thread starter macrumors member

3. godrifle macrumors regular

godrifle

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, would appreciate a review and pics if possible :)

5. obelix thread starter macrumors member

RadTech ClearCal Display Matte/Film is terrible

I just tried the 24" matte screen film/protector from RadTech (http://www.radtech.us/Products/ClearCal-Displays.aspx). Basically I hate the gloss on the new cinema displays, and all I want is a matte display that works with my new MacBookPro as I've been having problems with my 30" cinema display.

The Radtech ClearCal protector comes with a nice box, everything is well packaged, and there is a lint-free cloth and some omnicleanz spray included. First impressions - good stuff.

I proceeded to spend 45 minutes meticulously cleaning my display, and then got down to the business of applying the film. On a 24" display this certainly isn't trivial as there is a lot of surface area to cover and I found it near impossible to stop tiny 2mm bubbles appearing. I did find that if I went really really really slowly and applied light pressure as I put down the cover I could minimize this. After taking 30 minutes to apply the matte and getting it almost perfect I turned the display on.

The result... AWEFUL.

It changes the colours completely making everything at least a shade or two darker, and it adds a fine film (see attached) over the entire screen that makes it feel like someone added 1px noise over every inch of the display.

Although they charge $25 less than their competitors having paid this much for such a bad product I really can't give it more than 2 stars. If you weren't a designer, and all you were doing was writing MS Word docs... it might be ok... but for anyone who is a designer, photographer, or a visual artist... this is display suicide.

As I peeled the film back I couldn't help but notice how much of a difference there was between the screen and the screen+film.

The worst part is that there are absolutely no refunds. If you find that the product doesn't meet your expectations there is no possible recourse.

Attached Files:

6. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Was wondering if anyone had tried the first product mentioned yet? I've got a 27" iMac now and after a rearrangement of our office ('wife inspired'), the reflection in the screen has reared it's ugly head. I'm curious if anyone has tried the photodon product....

7. obelix thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't do it - IMO now having had the experience with the screens - unless all you do is MS word and you don't want glare - it ruins the screen. For anyone with a design background the film is just going to ruin colours. If you are a programmer or a word/excel junkie then it's probably ok.

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Thanks, I appreciate that feedback. The glossy is a 2 edged sword, that's for sure. But it's crisp and clear and I'd prefer it to stay that way, will just have to get creative with curtains I suppose.

9. alienatf macrumors member

I've tried padtech film for cinema display 27 - it's really bad.

i cant' explain it well becuase of my bad english, but i cay say that picture qulity with film - really bad, and there is some pressure on eyes.

10. dubaimac macrumors regular

I have the radtech matte protector installed on my 2011 TB display, I have it connected to an iMac 2011 as well without a screen protector, I don't do design work or anything that demands pure colour representation, I just move windows between the two when there is glare from outside. it took over an hour to install without bubbles but i have it perfect now. I would recommend it.