anti glare film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdamRock, Sep 19, 2010.

1. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

my sister also bought a 17" MBP but without anti glare and now she wants it, do you guys know where i can get a good AG film??? i searched ebay and amazon but the quality seemed cheap

2. x0r-lord macrumors member

unfortunately all anti-glare film IS cheap. true anti-glare is a coated right on the LCD, which is exposed (not protected by a layer of glass). the lid of the anti-glare MBP 17" (and 15"'s) has an exposed panel with a silver bezel.

I've priced lids, and they're around $500.

3. circularforward macrumors 6502

Wow, that is expensive!

OP, I assume your sister can no longer just take it back to be exchanged?

4. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

well she could but theres the restocking fee and just in general she doesnt want the silver border, but are there NO good anti glare films??

i saw the green onion ag but people said it attracted dust like mad

and then i saw the radteach clearcal ag but people said it made the screen rainbow.

someone should invent a good AG film.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

AG films never look good. I keep one on my iPod Touch only because it improves the feel of the touchscreen. I recently replaced the AG film on my Droid Incredible with a clear film, and the difference in sharpness is amazing. The glossy plastic film has a bit better feel than straight glass (not nearly as good as matte), and it still protects the screen from scratches.

I would strongly recommend against a matte film on a laptop. I guess you could always try a cheap ebay one, then peel it off when you inevitably get air bubbles/dust specks under it while installing it, or when the display looks blurry and washed out.

Although matte films make displays look blurry, true matte displays are NOT at all blurry because the matte layer is right on the LCD. Both my MBP and my desktop LCD are matte, and they are as sharp as anything.

6. JS2C macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTdB-LGYTKs
    This AG film demonstrated here seems to be really good...You can really see the difference before and after at the end.

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Dont you think its curious they never power the unit on?

8. AdamRock thread starter macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

twas such a good video that i saw it before, the sad part is they dont make ag for 17" only 13 - 15

9. JS2C macrumors newbie

Oh yea...I didn't notice that...Hope you can find another one