Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cowboy22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Does anybody know if Apple is going to bring the new silver bezel with matte screen to the regular Macbooks like they did with the new 17" MBP? I would buy in a second if they would!

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I think it'd be a good move on their part.

However, I don't personally believe they'll do it.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
They never offered an anti-glace screen on ANY MacBook, so I doubt they'll do it now. However, I do think there are companies that offer the film for the screen which I believe is removable (just in case you would like to sell it). But in my opinion, it makes the MacBook look less sexy.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Power Support Anti-Glare Film for the unibody MacBook. It's not exactly BTO, but it does the job and the reviews I've read are nothing short of glowing. Not to mention it's cheaper than Apple's $50 BTO option for the 17" MBP.

Suspended
Jan 12, 2009
i personally think they should, but they probably won't :(

+ as someone else posted, it makes them look less-sexy.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
good business sense is to funnel as many people as possible to the more expensive product. and that is not an example of Apple *screwing* their customers, it's just the way sales works.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
good business sense is to funnel as many people as possible to the more expensive product. and that is not an example of Apple *screwing* their customers, it's just the way sales works.

But people don't see it that way. I don't know why, but some people see Apple as something other than a corporation looking to make money, and any time they make a profit-motivated decision - they are screwing the consumers.

Cowboy22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
They wont offer the matte option on the normal Macbooks. Thats another reason why people get a pro.

Not really. I can afford ANY Mac product. I just like the size of the Macbook for portability and I like the built in superdrive. Sometimes the best isnt the better choice.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Not really. I can afford ANY Mac product. I just like the size of the Macbook for portability and I like the built in superdrive. Sometimes the best isnt the better choice.

EXACTLY! Even if the prices were switched (macbook pro = 1599, macbook = 1999) I wouldn't get the macbook pro because portability is very important to me in a notebook. I don't understand why apple doesn't understand this.

And don't tell me to get a MBA. Nice machine but not really comparable to the full function of the other notebooks

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Power Support Anti-Glare Film for the unibody MacBook. It's not exactly BTO, but it does the job and the reviews I've read are nothing short of glowing. Not to mention it's cheaper than Apple's $50 BTO option for the 17" MBP.

I'd like to add a recommendation for Power Support's anti-glare film. I've got one for a MacBook, and it's wonderful. It's a royal pain to get it on without dust or bubbles (advice: line up the longest edge of the film first), but once it's on it's virtually indistinguishable from an actual matte screen.

Cowboy22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I'd like to add a recommendation for Power Support's anti-glare film. I've got one for a MacBook, and it's wonderful. It's a royal pain to get it on without dust or bubbles (advice: line up the longest edge of the film first), but once it's on it's virtually indistinguishable from an actual matte screen.
Did you notice any loss of picture quality?

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
in another thread, someone was very disappointed with theirs because there was dust on it to begin with.

others have reported that it makes the screen a bit blurry/fuzzy.

there was a company who were giving away anti-glare screens that were blemished (the hole for the camera was not aligned) for the price of shipping and handling.

i ordered one and it was shipped yesterday

i can't wait to try it out. afterall, the cheapest ones i've seen are for $25-$30 and to get one for less than HALF that, blemished or not, i'll try it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
EXACTLY! Even if the prices were switched (macbook pro = 1599, macbook = 1999) I wouldn't get the macbook pro because portability is very important to me in a notebook. I don't understand why apple doesn't understand this.

Even though I can afford it, I think that's foolish.

And Apple understands; they just care more about making money and having larger profit margins; less customization means more streamlined manufacturing which equates to lower costs to build and maintain.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006

And don't tell me to get a MBA. Nice machine but not really comparable to the full function of the other notebooks

My thinking exactly.

I want my laptop to be (1) portable (2) powerful and (3) have a matte screen. I'm still using the latest computer from Apple that combines those three; the 12" PB G4.

Apple doesn't sell a computer combining those features at any price. I'd be prepared to pay up to $3000.

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA

I have the power support for the for the MBP, and it's great. From the perspective of the MBP, its as close as getting the techrestore matte service performed on the pro. Some find it cumbersome to install, but I found it fairly easy... less than five minutes. If you want, I can post pics for you. Not sure what benefit the pics will show.

I would have gotten the techrestore service, but in my experience with intel macs, these displays are constantly going out on me, so I'd rather be covered by apple and purchase another antiglare film.

Cubalibre6

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Could you please post some pictures for comparison?

I'm also thinking about getting the Power Support for my MB, but I don't want my screen to look all grainy.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
TechRestore is now offering a matte screen replacement for the 13" aluminum MacBook.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
others have reported that it makes the screen a bit blurry/fuzzy.

Of course it's more blurry. The light needs to be transmitted through glass and then through a matte layer, which is made to deflect the original path of the light a bit.

Just get the matte film. I've heard nothing but good things about it on these forums, except that it can be a bit tricky to put on at first. Some have had no problem putting it on.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008

Nope. It's got all the characteristics of a normal matte screen -- so yes, there is some diffusion, but that's kinda the point...

One word of caution: make sure you're not wearing any clothes with threads/dust/etc. Do it in a clean room, and get it right the first time. If you try to pick it up after putting it down half-way, you'll get poor results. Also, you might wanna get two... it's a royal bitch to put on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.