Anti-Glare Matte screen HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nitromac, Jul 29, 2012.

1. nitromac macrumors 6502

So I decided to clean my MBP (bought a few weeks ago) and cleaned the screen with a mix of 70% rubbing alcohol with some water. (I don't know how much, probably half and half)

This was a really bad idea.

There are horizontal and vertical grey streaks all over the matte screen. Under any sort of glare, you can clearly see them. What's worse is that it also affects the display when it's on. Against a grey background, I can see almost all of them. (although it's not super noticeable)

Is there any way at all to fix this or at least minimize the effect? It kills me that I've only had this thing for a few weeks and I've already ruined it.

Any sort of help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I wish more people would read the manual.

Attached Files:

3. nitromac thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I know...

Is there some sort of coating replacement that can be done? Can it be fixed if I give it to an Apple store?

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Not sure... You should search the forums, I'm sure you're not the first.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Take a photo, but I can't imagine you could possibly have damaged the screen. It just sounds like you did a crap cleaning job and need to go over it again with a damp cloth.

6. biskit96 macrumors newbie

I think the matte screen is some type of overlay. Maybe it can be replaced with put too much fuss or cost. Try calling Apple or take it in.

7. nitromac, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

nitromac thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what happened:
    [​IMG]

This was taken the next morning after the screen cooled down. Nothing changed, really. I tried using Windex's Electronics cleaner and it seemed to help, but only for a moment. After a short while, the screen went back to the smudgy streaky mess. Also tried using a damp microfiber cloth (distilled water) and that didn't help either. It's not a hard water issue, I just think I did the dumbest thing by using a paper towel and alcohol.

Anyways, I'm thinking of replacing the screen or just living with it.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Use a damp (clean) microfiber cloth and use a bit of pressure. The streaks should wipe off. I'd recommend laying the back of the screen on a flat, sturdy surface so you can apply light, even pressure.

Edit: like this. Place something soft under the screen so the aluminum doesn't get scratched. And turn the computer off.

Attached Files: