Anti Glare = No front Glass?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcpix, Jun 14, 2012.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

With the release of the Retina MacBook Pro, Apple removed the front glass and made the LCD an integral part of the Macbook frame. They claim a reduction in glare, although the display itself appears to be glossy.

I'm wondering if the new iMac will go this same route or if there will be some special anti-glare glass over the display?

As an aside, I've removed the front glass from all of my iMacs and feel that it does significantly reduce the amount of glare and reflections.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This was already the case for antiglare MBP models.

3. unfrostedpoptar macrumors regular

Good timing - I just did this last night, but also got some non-reflective "Museum Glass" cut at the local Aaron Brothers framing store. Here's pictures of the original, no glass, and the new glass.

Pics of iMac with replacement glass

No glass looks best, but I'm worried about damage (UV or physical) to the LCD panel. Thoughts?

4. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but they also had matte displays.

5. NextGenApple macrumors regular

As with the NEW retina MBP don't expect a base iMac to have Retina at first as for 27" I don't know how they will make that work seen as that is as close to retina as you can get. The iMac retina will either be BTO at first or another iMac will be made and slot into place like the NEW Retina MBP.

A lot of people wanting retina iMacs forgetting price will not be the same as current iMacs it will be expensive fir awhile until it becomes the norm. I suspect a refreshed line with ivy bridge/USB 3 etc and a separate retina iMac or spec bump and retina iMac next year.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Matte and antiglare are the same thing.

7. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Nice job with the museum glass, although I agree that no glass looks best.

As far as damage goes, I've had my glass off for 4 months without any problems. If I get fingerprints, I just use iKlear to clean them off.