Anti-Glare on 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser1997, Jan 6, 2009.

1. macuser1997 macrumors member

Right now you can select the anti-glare option in the Apple Store for the 17" version, but can't for the 15". Do you think they will add this soon?

2. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I would hope a matte option, the new battery that the 17" now has and a standard of 2.53 to be in the next revision.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There will be no matte until Apple does a redesign, but the antiglare, if particularly effective, should eliminate most complaints.

4. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

All of those features would be amazing. How often do they tend to revise?

5. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I meant anti-glare, not matte. So yeah, anti-glare, newer/better battery that 17 inch has and 2.53 standard. Would think it could happen around April.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

not until WWDC (summer 09) because they have to make a reason for people to pay so much for the 17" other than 2" extra screen size.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well the TiBook's design lasted 2 years, but the Aluminum design that followed first came out in 2003.

A better question is, if the anti-glare eliminates reflections would you still have an issue with the glass screen?

Personally its almost worth the extra money for the higher res screen. I know I'd love it.

8. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, so annoying. I love everything about the new 17" except it's about 2 inches too big.

9. detz macrumors 65816

And I only want the 17" because it's bigger...doing development work I need my screen space! ;-)

What type of screen are the white macbooks, that's what I have now and the screen is fine.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They know a lot of people will be doing returns or the used market will be flooded if they offered that! :p

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No kidding on the screen space. The MacBook Pro screens are significantly higher quality to the MacBooks (plastic or aluminum).

12. SWC macrumors 6502

So whats different from before? no reason for them to hold off. The 15 and 17 have always been similarly specd.

13. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

Since they obviously acknowledge that some people want anti-glare, I don't know why they don't include it as an option in the other MBPs.

14. Scottological macrumors member

If they did decide to introduce anti-glare to the 15", I doubt they would make a big deal about it. Maybe just a press release on some random Tuesday and that would be that. Of course, for many of us, anti glare changes the deal entirely.

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh?
    Is there much difference?
    Doesn't anti-glare screens have a slight matte finish anyway?

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Not necessarily. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that anti-glare = matte. I'd be willing to bet that's wrong. Older high end CRTs (like some high-end Sonys with trinitron tubes) used coatings on the glass to reduce reflections. It's still glass though with a smooth finish, no matte texturing.

17. macuser1997 thread starter macrumors member

Matte implies "oh **** we ****ed up and admit it". Anti-glare implies "oh **** we ****ed up but we're pretending we meant to do this all along".

18. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

as i said in the other thread, Apple has some cunning people there. Bring back the matte/anti-glare whatever you want to call it and have people hail them as savior and the best company that actually listens to their customers. AND, at the same time, charge for it. Heh :p

19. iVoid macrumors 65816

If they get enough BTO 17" for the anti-glare screen, I have to imagine that pretty soon we'll have a new BTO option for the 15" for an anti-glare screen.

I'd love to see the option for the 13" as well, but that I doubt.

20. frogger2020 macrumors regular

From other threads, people are saying that the anti-glare systems do not have the glass covering the screen. Others have said it is a coating on the glass, so who knows what will happen.

21. fjk macrumors regular

Lol. I don't see how this would warrant changing the bezel to silver.

22. fjk macrumors regular

I like how all of the promotional images on apple.com have some glare on the screen, possibly to show off the character of the new unibody's "glare" screen.

Of course since the new "antiglare" option is not "matte" but "antiglare" then it would probably be more accurate to call the current options "glare" as opposed to "glossy."

At least they're being truthful with the images.

23. drossad macrumors regular

If you watch the keynote, he explains that the anti-glare does not have the glass covering the screen. To offer the anti-glare they have gone back to building it with the old aluminum bezel around the screen just like the last generation. There's got to be something there to hold the screen in place, and since the glass is what causes the glare, they have to use a metal frame to achieve anti-glare.

24. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Has anyone confirmed the anti-glare 17" screen will be glass?

Judging from the appearance of the silver bezel, it could be a similar finish to the previous MBP 17" hi-rez screen.

Might have silver keys too.

EDIT: Just saw the posting above, which answers my question.
    And there IS something positive to be said about how durable the glass screen is, allowing a sturdy clean, while the anti-glare can be relatively easily scratched.

Attached Files:

25. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I think you're wrong on that one. I treat my matte screen quite roughly and it doesn't have a single scratch on it. I jab the screen with my fingers regularly, and when there's gunk on the screen from yesterday's dried lunch splatter or whatever, I just scratch it off with my (usually jagged) fingernail, and the screen has had things with sharp edges fall on it, and the laptop itself has dropped from coffee table height at least once, etc.

Yes, a glass screen could withstand a stronger slashing attack than a matte screen could withstand, but in the real world it's extremely unlikely that your laptop screen is going to encounter a scratching force strong enough to cut a matte screen. AND, the glass screen is more prone to blunt or deforming impacts that will crack the glass screen but that the matte screen would simply bend and ripple along with and recover with no damage.

So I'd say that both screens are equally durable. The only difference is which type of damage they are more susceptible to.

p.s. I'm really a much more socially acceptable and hygienic person than this post makes me sound like! I promise!