Anti-glare on the new non-retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AfzalivE, Jun 13, 2012.

1. AfzalivE macrumors member

Hi,
    I'm in the market for a Macbook pro for the first time and I was wondering if the bezel on the antiglare screen is "flush" with the display.

As in, the display is not recessed in, because if that's the case it might be harder to wipe off dust specks from it and they'll accumulate at the border.

Also, are the new MBPs compatible with optibay? I found one on ebay that looks exactly the same as the latest one and I ordered it already. I'm planning to switch the HDD with a 128GB SSD and put the HDD in the optibay.

Thank you very much :)

2. C4FF macrumors member

Yes it is recessed in, not sure about optibay.

3. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Just tried one out at Apple Store today, there has been no changes to the anti glare screen, meaning that the screen is still recessed.

Not so sure about the optibay.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I didn't see any changes regarding the optical drive, so optibay I would assume is still compatible with the new MBP, except for the retina obviously.

5. AfzalivE thread starter macrumors member

Wow, those are the fastest replies I've even gotten on a forum.

I do have 3 anti-glare screens at work and I like them a lot and I don't really see dust specks on these unless they're dark but these are recessed in a centimetre or so. I do like the complete absence of reflection since I have a glossy (low quality) screen on my laptop and I don't like it under bright light.

What do you all think? should I go with the anti-glare screen anyway?

@mohsy90, yeah you're right and yes, that's one of the reasons I didn't go with the Retina. I was really wishing Apple would get a bit creative and put an extra SSD with the HDD for snappy OS + extra storage.

6. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Go get an antiglare display. You won't regret it. I use compressed air to clean off dust specks from the seam and has worked well for me.

7. AfzalivE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Ordering one. :D

8. derickdub macrumors 6502

I wouldn't sacrifice the anti-glare screen because it's "harder" to clean. It is much better quality than the glossy, so even if you have to spend a little more time cleaning it's worth it. The glossy screen is also recessed in some too and there is a rubber seal around it that dust sticks to, making it even harder to clean IMO.

Just get the anti-glare if it's better for you. I'm going to buy a non-retina MBP for the sole purpose that the retina models don't have an anti-glare option. Plus it's only +$10, not $150 like the last model.

9. AfzalivE thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's +$90 if you're a student (you get a $100 discount + $100 to spend on apps). Apple and its mixed prices lol. I checked my employee discount for RIM and it was $110 and none for apps and $94 for the display upgrade.

Anyway, ordered it again with the anti-glare. Can't wait for next friday!

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I get mine Monday or Tuesday. I got it with antiglare also. For the price of a low end retina I got the high end MBP.

11. derickdub macrumors 6502

That "+$10" was supposed to be $100. Students get 10% savings on BTO upgrades. You would've paid $135 (10% off $150) w/ discount for the last MBPs. Apple has always charged more for anti-glare for some reason.

And I'm thinking about buying soon, but would much rather prefer a $100 gift-card to the retail store as it would take me 10 years to use that $100 on the app store. Has anyone ever bought a BTO mac and was able to get a gift card for the Apple store instead by going into one to pick it up? I've heard stories of it being done with non-BTO models.

12. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Because the vast majority of users prefer it, and many prefer it enough to pay the money.