Anti Glare Rear Protector Film

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by todd2fst4u, Dec 24, 2011.

1. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

What is a good brand to buy for an anti glare rear protection film?
    I am currently using the Power Support antiglare hd film on the front screen and want something similar for the back. I don't like the crystal back protector because it doesn't provide the same grippy feel that the anti glare film does.
    What are people using?? :confused:

2. atr45, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

atr45 macrumors newbie

I was going to say Power Support. Are you going to use a case or bumper with the back film?

3. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

No case or bumpers, I just want films.
    Not sure why Power Support doesn't offer an option for an anti glare rear film.

4. atr45 macrumors newbie

invisishield?

5. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Definitely check out sgp ultra fine set. Static antiglare for both front and back. Had one on my black 4, loved it

6. atr45 macrumors newbie

7. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Yeah not sure if they sell it in just back only. I've only seen it in sets that come with the antenna band wraps and home button covers.

8. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

This pack has two rear, matte backs, two matte fronts, as well as home button covers and band wraps. :)

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Check out Ghost Armor - Matte for the back. I find it to be nicer than Invisible Shield and there are stores all over the US / Canada that include installation as part of the service, including swapping it out if it isn't done to your satisfaction.

10. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

In addition to the guy above me's post...I have a phantom skinz matte back/sides for sale. PM me if you are interested.

11. budgynana macrumors member

not to sound patronizing... but the whole point of anti glare film is to reduce unwanted reflection so that the light coming from the thing you are protecting is easier to see therefore you don't need any anti glare, privacy, or any of the other optical propertied film for the back. you just need something protective, and maybe textured if you wish.

most screen protector packs, with front and back films, will only have a special front film - the back film will most likely be a generic/standard film. if it isn't... well frankly the manufacturer's wasted their time and money.

if you're only searching for an anti glare back i think you may have narrowed your search too far.

12. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Yup thats the exact one I was talking about

13. todd2fst4u thread starter macrumors regular

I like the anti glare film for its look and feel. I find it helps with fingerprints and makes the phone less slippery.

I think I'll give SGP a look. How does it compare to the power support anti glare film? Is it a similar look and feel?

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Anti glare film sets have a very smooth texture, I don't see how it would provide grip? :confused:

15. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

I love powersupport as well. Id say the SGP is just a shade thinner but they both feel the same. Also, the screen looks the same to my naked eye. I went with the SGP for antiglare because it comes with 2 full sets for about $25. It's a great deal. For crystal shield sets, I go with powersupports.

I believe there are comparison threads from the past on here, you'll just have to use the search function

16. charlesdayton, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Yes there are some threads but they only compare the beta version of SGP. According to some people here the beta SGP used to have noise/pixelation that got fixed in the final product.

Don't know personally as I haven't purchased them yet. I want to try them due to their cutouts that look more precise than PS.

You forgot that anti-glare films are aslo called Anti-Fingerprint. Many of the people that buy them for touchscreens do so for their fingerprint resistance and not for the glare reduction. The back of the iPhone is quite the fingerprint magnet.

Also except for PS other SP manufacturers offer their front/back sets in matching anti-glare: SGP, Boxwave, Switcheasy, etc.

OP:

I have no idea why PS does not make an AG back. Their Crystal and AG films have the same prices so it is not a factor. I wish they made it.

For the back you could go with the cheapest AG film you can find. The main problem with cheap ones are the low clarity but that wont matter on the back. Checkout ebay and swbox.

17. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Yup you're right. That is the one that comes to mind

18. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

In your experience, do you find that the pixelation/noise has been fixed? I read conflicting opinions. Some people have said they still have some pixelation and other that they are as pixelation-free as the PS.

19. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

There's definitely some pixelation/noise in my experience with the SGP (especially if whatever app you're looking at it has a white background). I never had the beta (only the final version) but from the pics that I saw on here it has improved somewhat. In my real world experience the final version still had pixelation. Obviously with my opinion take it with a grain of salt, it's my eyeball test.

But I hope my experience helps you out and anyone else out there that wants to hear different user perspectives :)

20. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Definitely your opinion is helpful. Have you also used the PS anti-glare HD? If so, isthe PS better in terms of pixelation?

21. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Yes it's better. I wouldn't say it's significantly better but it's improved. Overall I like the ps ag shield. It's thicker with more clarity. Too bad they don't make an ag back.

One other criticism that I have about the sgp ultra fine is that it seems to scratch easily. My front and back had a few scratches on the shields. My front ps did not develop any scratches despite having the same usage pattern and time as when I was using the sgp.

The plus for the sgp is the value you get with getting 2 sets of full antiglare protection.

But head to head my nod goes to the ps for overall quality of the shields. Might be pricey but having an sgp ultra fine back and ps front is the best if you want to go the full antiglare setup.

22. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I was almost decided for the SGP due to the better cutout. But I totally dislike pixelation. I think I will go with PS front and elCheapo back.

BTW in ebay they are selling the PS 2 front set for just $16.60 with shipping.

The store is called Power Support USA. Don't know if it is official or an individual seller but based on the feedback it is the genuine item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HD-Anti-G...Accessories&hash=item4aa7fd0c2d#ht_500wt_1287

23. chobie macrumors newbie

Agreed with one user above. Why spend so much on these branded screen protectors for use on the rear glass? I don't get the point. It doesn't have a screen to get so anal on pixelation etc. I use a dollar matte screen protector and I'm more than happy. Just buy a generic one on eBay.

It's a whole different story for the front screen however.

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The point is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. If we all had the same notion of what the point was then we'd all be using the exact same products.

25. kingdLo macrumors 6502

PhantomSkinz has an awesome matte protector kit. It comes with 2 Matte Rears, matte sides, 2 Matte fronts AND 2 clear fronts.