Anti-glare screen a must have

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scolds, May 1, 2013.

1. Scolds macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am just interested if people agree with my thoughts.
    1. I want to buy a 15" Mac Book Pro and the anti-glare screen is a must as we plan to use it sat outside more often than not.
    2. I strongly believe that the next update of the MBP will see all retina screens and the loss of the anti-glare option.
    3. I plan to order the 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm as it will be far faster than anything I have at present with a view in a couple of years to look at an upgrade to SSD as the prices fall.

I understand that there will be no significant price drop on the model I want to buy after the update and that it may not be possible to order it after the update.

I feel like I am giving out good money for older models but don't see that I have a choice. This will be the first Apple PC I have bought.

Very interested in the opinions of the forum readers, thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You seem pretty sure of what you want, so I'm not sure I can add anything.

1. We will see if Apple drops the anti-glare option when the laptops get refreshed, you want that option so that's fine - its your decision.
    2. The next revision may be retina across the board - again only time will tell
    3. If they go with a full retina, they may also decide to use their proprietary storage instead of standard drives, but again that's conjecture. You want the 750GB drive, that will certainly provide a lot of storage.

3. Scolds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I think as a newbie to MBP you are not disagreeing with my research and that is good.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I don't feel as strongly that the AG screen is needed. I will often sit on my deck in the evening and use the Mac, no issues with glare on the screen. I sit facing West (into the sun but there is some reflection). With the brightness of the screen there's no problems for me.

5. Scolds thread starter macrumors newbie

I was using my wife's IPad 3 last night in the garden and the reflection was really bad and they claim that the retina screen is 70% less. That test may have been conducted in the Apple Labs at night time with the lights dimmed. :)

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The Retina MacBook Pro is less reflective than the standard glossy screen but is nowhere near the "up to 70%" that Apple claims. Turn the brightness down to anything less than maximum, and the glare really becomes apparent.

It will be a sad day if and when Apple ultimately discontinues the matte screen option.

7. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Check youtube reviews in which they check the regular MBP vs retina MBP glare and you'll see they're greatly reduced,maybe not as much as an anti-glare screen but still pretty good.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not disagreeing with you because you know what you want. I'd say what you wrote is a poor fit for my needs, but then they're my needs.

You clearly defined what you wanted, an anti-glare MBP with a lot of storage. Why should I counter that since it will be your machine.

9. Scolds thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry maflynn, I could have worded that better. Of course I know what I want and understood the points you were making.

I was trying to say thanks for the comments and it seems that my thought process is OK. I posted on here in case anyone knew information to prove my research was wrong and I should not buy now.

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

The rMBP screen (retina) is significantly different than the screen/display used on the iPads. I, too, have the retina iPad 4---and it absolutely IS reflective. As a user of the 17" MBP for 7 years---all with the AntiGlare option---I've found the switch to both the 15" form factor and the 'glare' screen on the rMBP to be a non-factor. The glare absolutely IS significantly reduced from the previous non-anti-glare models...whether 75% is the exact number, hard to say---but it sounds correct.

That's a bunch of BS---we use them all day, everyday in highly lit environments. The 75% number is close, if not exact. The 'glare' issue is all but gone with the rMBP display's new design with the lamination process and removal of the 'outer' glass that was more of a protection....that was where the glare came from. With the retina display---you'll get the best of both worlds...the 'pop' that comes without the antiglare coating---and the significantly reduced 'glare' evident in the non-glare screens previous to this generation. The best option is to get into an Apple Store and play with one under the bright fluorescent lighting. We use ours indoors, outdoors...under bright lights and in the dark---it's easily the best display I've ever owned. Period!

But---Good luck with your choice. As mentioned earlier, it sounds like you know what you want---and if you're set, pull the trigger!

J

11. maxosx macrumors 68020

I'm a huge enthusiast of anti-glare, hi-res displays on MacBook Pro's.

Although my newest MBP is a 15" retina model, I find it's glossy reflective display (not as bad as non-retina glossy MBP's) a true distraction.

On one hand the retina is nice, but it would be far more enjoyable for my use if it was anti-glare. The problem with anti-glare is they are not "fashionable" nor do they look as good on display in the shiny, flashy, Apple Stores.

People buy what looks good in the store, not necessarily what is the best when one is _using_ the computer.

12. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's exactly where I have used the Retina display, and turning the brightness to anything other than the absolute maximum reveals glare.

I've owned 95% color gamut displays and worked with 10-bit IPS notebook panels, and they are superior to the Retina display in every way, shape, and form. The MBP's antiglare doesn't begin to compare to those displays, but I would take it every day and twice on Sunday over the Retina.

However, the display itself is the least of my problems with the RMBP, but that's a discussion for another time.

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Are you going to start a thread? Real question.

14. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Nope.

15. mykem macrumors regular

Retina screen has nothing to do with display reflectivity. Retina has to do with resolution is relation to the size of the screen, the pixel density and viewing perception.

Screen reflection has more to do with the glass or the material in front of the display. Both the iPad 2 and 3/4 use the older display technology where the LCD and the glass in front of it is not bonded together. With the rMBP and the new iMac (and the iPhone 5) there's virtually no gap between the glass and the LCD. This reduces reflection. Given how exact Apple is when it comes to numbers (if you read Anandtech review of Apple's devices- the numbers given by Apple are always correct), I don't doubt it's a 70% improvement over the older display.

16. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

For me, the rMBP's screen is still unacceptably glare-heavy. The issue isn't total lumens, it's sharpness of lines. On the rMBP, I can read signs in behind me in the display. On the anti-glare displays, I can't. This means that, in nearly all the circumstances I work in, the rMBP display would be pretty much unacceptable for me, which is why I'm still using a June-2012 non-Retina machine.

17. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you've done your homework and I have no counterpoints.

You could always try going to an Apple Store and seeing the glare (or lack there of) for yourself.

18. Mbman81 macrumors member

Just one point to add to the original poster...

You can always add a matte / anti glare screen protector to the retina screen with an aftermarket film. Just like you would do for your iPhone or iPad. Just something to think about.

19. macman34 macrumors regular

What I fail to understand is why apple don't seem to be willing to offer the best of both worlds, that's the light semi gloss coating of the air on the pro line. It's by far the best middle ground between reflections and graininess and from anything I 've seen on the market from other manufacturers it has the least reflective semi gloss coating, to the point of being virtually non reflective.

Why then is there only an option for either downright heavy matte aka antiglare that degrades clarity of text and detail OR an extra layer of glass superimposed (even if it's laminated on the screen) instead of the semi gloss?

As an aside, aesthetics aside, why does apple think it's a good idea to have a black frame with a glass on top (that's the simplest diy way to create a mirror) in the macbook pros and the imac? I always buy my ipads white for this very reason that I don't need the bezel to be reflective too. Why not then just simply offer the option (if white is out of the question) for an aluminum bezel instead?

The air line is simply the best with the aluminum bezel and the semi gloss, but it doesn't have a 15" model, and there's no reason why apple should offer that option in the pro line too.

Sadly, I don't see it happening....

----------

I definitely wouldn't go that way, it's going to degrade the image quality immensely. One layer of the lcd, then another layer of glass, then an air gap, then a layer of matte coating. You understand how many refractive mediums are there one on top of the other?

20. Scolds thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the comments.
    I did manage some months to go to have a rMBP sat next to a AG MBP in an Apple store in Bristol and you could see a massive difference. It seems no longer possible to do this, as the stores I have visited no longer have AG MBP on display.

Mind now made up (99%) that I will order what I want and now look forward to owning my first MBP and to be honest I can't wait :D

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Anti glare freak

All i can say is, I'm an anti-glare freak. I had tried several apple products over the last 7-8 years, the original white macbook, the previous macbook pros, and could only go with a non-glare/matte version since the glassy caused too much eye strain and distraction. My GF is convinced that the Bells Palsy I had back in 2006 was caused by the white macbook... needless to say, it was sold and I had to order matte only which was always BTO and often couldn't be had at amazon or other cheaper outlets.

Now, when the rMBP came out, I REALLY wanted one so I decided to try it. And you know what, it's NO problem. Yes, there is more REFLECTION than a true anti-glare but truly NOTHING compared to the glassy models and even on 60-65% brightness where I normally leave it working in an office or a coffeeshop with often overhead lighting it's really no problem at all.

Nice thing about apple, you can BTO or buy in store and take it back within 14 days (nearly 30 with BTO) and try it out for yourself.