Anti glare screen and eyestrain

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sean83, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sean83 macrumors newbie

When I buy my next Macbook, I'm thinking of buying one with the anti glare screen, does the anti glare screen reduce eye strain?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

eye strain is caused by the eyes working to focus on a given object. Glossy screens which are highly reflective may cause the eyes/brain to work harder at processing the images you are seeing, which may cause eye strain.

Matte screens do not have the same reflective nature so its possible that they will reduce the amount of possible eye strain. By the same token if the lighting, computer position or distance from your eyes is not ideal, you still can incur eye strain on a matte (anti-glare) screen.

What I'm saying is there are many factors and variables that impact how eyes work and over-work (which causes eye strain). Highly reflective displays that are not positioned with proper lighting is just one example

3. iCaleb macrumors 6502

The less bright the screen is the more glare your going to see...but I use my iMac in a pitch dark room so I can't notice anything I also have my brightness set to 3 bars to the fullest setting.