Anti-glare screen cover for Macbook Pro Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klex, Jun 29, 2012.

1. klex macrumors regular

2. klex thread starter macrumors regular

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Shameless indeed.

4. golu14 macrumors regular

don't go for the moshi ivisor, I've read on apple forums that it kills the retina sharpness on the iPhone.

and if you are going to apply a protector for reducing glare(and not because of scratches) then forget it, bcoz the protector itself would add another layer for the light to refract, which indeed will only increase the glare. that is why there is only one glass on the screen of mbpr that is of lcd itself. until and unless its really matte finish, it would make it only worser. and anyways even a matte one would kill the sharpness, making words comparatively difficult to read, ultimately only increasing the strain on the eyes.

just imagine, if removing one glass from the screen can reduce glare by 75%, what increase would a plastic layer make to this, considering that the refractive index of plastic is much higher than that of glass.

just put a thin cloth on the keyboard while closing the lid if u just want protection from scratches.

the display on the retina is already near perfect, not too glossy nor too matte.

if you really want to reduce the glare, then wear clear lens polarized glasses

just my 1c :)

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I had Moshi's iVisor Pro on my old unibody Macbook Pro. I liked how it could be installed without there being any sticky stuff on the screen area (just on the bezel = no air bubbles) so it was easy to install. Made the screen a bit less crisp, but it was worth it there since the glare was so bad.

I've used several Capdase protectors in the past, they were mostly bundled with cell phone cases (that brand is probably more popular where I am than in the US), they're the better static cling type and were fairly scratch resistant when compared to cheaper 10 for $1 type protectors. iirc the anti-glare protector I had on my Motorola Atrix created a lot of the infamous grainy pixels/rainbow effect on the screen.

Bottom line, anti-glare films are never going to be as great as a factory matte option or a clear film, but Moshi's is probably the best option for MacBooks. Do you actually have an rMBP? You will find that it's quite an improvement from the old glass covered displays.

6. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I am actually currently writing this on a rMBP, and when it is light out, the glare bothers me a little. I have only had it for a day, so I will give it a few more days before making any final conclusion.

Was the cover for your Motorola Atrix from Capdase?

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If I remember correctly, yes, the protector was bundled with the case.

I liked the case but the protector, not so much.

8. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your insights.

How is your lag btw? Still good? (Read your other post, and I am experiencing some lag when using expose) for example.)

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Glad to help!

I'm assuming you've seen the thread with the 4 videos or so uploaded there?

Lag is still a non-issue for me, it's as smooth as I expected it to be even accounting for the higher resolution. You should be happy with the Mountain Lion update :)