Anti-glare screen protector for Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrkjsn, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone find a good anti glare screen protector that won't diminish the retina quality much? With the warmer weather coming, I foresee myself working outside more and it's almost impossible to see anything.

2. dread macrumors 6502a

I have the powersupport one on my iPhone and it ruins the retina quality. You might as well get an iPad 2 if you use the antiglare protector.

3. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

I picked up the Media Devil Anti-Glare for my 3rd Gen

It's pretty good :)

Any anti-glare will dull the sharpness a little but it's not so bad that I can't appreciate the new screen that's for sure :cool:

If you commute at all and have to contend with fluorescent overhead lighting, an anti-glare cover is a must IMHO and is the reason I use one. Without one I found it virtually impossible to see the screen properly.....no matter how much better it might be without an anti-glare, if you can't see an uncovered screen it kinda makes your iPad useless :(

Id suggest giving one a try and seeing what YOU think.

Oh and skip the cheap ones too - they will totally ruin your viewing experience. As with most things, quality anti-glare covers cost a bit more!

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

This.

Except I use a Power Support. And I like the anti-fingerprint properties. Tilting the iPad around to avoid glare kind of takes away from the usefulness for me.

5. mrkjsn thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the replies.Might drop by the Apple store and try out PS.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I used the SGP version on my iPad1 and loved it. No orange peel affect.

Tried the Zagg one; it was a disaster.

I wonder how much is might impair the retina though. Although I don't remember it seriously degrading the screen quality on the 1. Just because the pixels are tighter doesn't mean it will mess up the retina that badly either. Photons are small things. If the optics worked then perhaps it will still work.

If anyone tries and SGP, let me know.

7. mrkjsn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. My biggest concern is the retina. It's unavoidable that it will affect retina - just looking for one that wouldn't ruin it as much.

8. mrkjsn thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up ordering the Moshi anti-glare. The ease of putting it on and the ability to remove and reapply was attractive to me. In the event that I truly want to watch a movie in HD, I can just take it off and put it back on. B&H currently has the white one for $25shipped.

I'll let everyone know how it works out when it gets here. I also ordered an iCarbon back skin to protect the aluminum. Temporarily I laid black vinyl sticker I had laying around to protect the back.

9. sekazi macrumors 6502

I have a Switcheasy PureAnti-Reflect

[​IMG]

I do not have a picture like the above without the protector on yet but will soon since the mail lady folded my protector in half and damaged it so Switcheasy is mailing a new one to me and I can grab a shot before I put that one on.

If you can distinguish the pixels with it on it does not ruin the retina display. The positives of a matte protector exceed the loss in clarity. I have been using them for years and will never go back to glass.

10. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

I loved my iMoshi for the iPad 2 but it decreases the clarity of the new iPad way too much. You get a prism effect everywhere on the screen. However, it is really easy to put on and off if you're willing to do that. I'll be getting in a Media Devil Anti-Glare in soon so I'll keep everyone updated on how that one works

11. mrkjsn thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I figure it would have some effect on the clarity but I'm not too worried about retina while working outside in daylight. I just want to be able to see the screen. I'm really only concerned about retina when watching something in HD, which I can then remove it.