Anti Mac, Technology Teacher, Need some ways to get back

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JohnAltidoreITT, Jan 31, 2008.

1. JohnAltidoreITT macrumors newbie

So my teacher, (Network +, A+) is quite the Mac hater. Now this has been going on since August, but for the most part I just laugh it off, I figure I know the truth, so I don't care.

But the more and more she blatantly lies about it in front of the class, the more and more it's annoyed me, and now I'm ready to respond.

I'll give you a couple of scenarios that have happened.

1. This is one of her most common reasons for being Anti-Mac, "APPLETALK IS CHATTY!!" ok, so I know this might have had truth to it, but the research I've gone with said it was primarily fixed in System 7, and of course OS X doesn't even have Appletalk on by default.

She constantly has just ignored or chosen to ignore these facts, and I need a more hard pressed way of proving this.

She honestly believes that the minute you put a single Macintosh on the network, all hell breaks loose. She has stated this multiple times, and that they should just be quarantined with other Macs.

Now, when I brought those facts up about how it was primarily fixed in System 7, and OS X doesn't even use them, she just told me "Well I bet the majority use older systems", is there any market share statistics that would prove how little a minority Mac classic users are?

2. Last week I mentioned how I had an old G3 iMac that I'd be happy to bring in, so we could get a bit of experience with OS X.

She said "Well I'm not sure you'll see them much but, ok, we can see how much the traffic goes up on our network"

Now this is me, practically donating a very nice system to the school (public HS btw)

So Monday rolls around and I bring it in, lugging the beast all around campus, and the first thing she mutters is "Well it won't play games haha", to my friend who was sitting near her (I didn't quite catch it as I was on the other side of the room)

What the hell? After that I decided I'd take it back and not keep it here at all, and bring it back to my house.

So we put it on the network, I must admit a couple were pretty surprised how easy it was to set things up like web sharing and crap, and the teachers pet was looking at the packets in the network (Note, I had appletalk off, since it was a clean install) and he didn't say anything that day.

Now today she said "That's why the networking went up so high when he brought the Mac in there!"

So, I just need some hard stats and proof from a reputable source, to where I can disprove her idiocy in front of the class. Thanks for those who read, hopefully you find this saga interesting.

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Sounds like she needs a nice swift kick in the ass. lol.

Seriously though has she ever actually even used a mac? Who actually uses appletalk anymore anyway?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

People like that will never change their mind, don't worry about getting back, and just enjoy the factthat you know more than she does.

4. JohnAltidoreITT thread starter macrumors newbie

I doubt she has much experience with Macs to be honest, I've put subtle little things in my work to see if she'll mark them wrong. Like seeing if she know Mac OS X is UNIX based and stuff.

Honestly, I don't really take any personal offense, it's more so that the majority of the people in the class now are anti-Mac out of ignorance, and that bothers me.

Although she won't ever change her mind, the others can still be saved :D

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Buy a big red apple, take a big bite off the top corner of it, and leave the apple on her desk.

Booyah.

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Dude, let it go...

Grades are more important than Pride at this point in your life.

How does that expression go? Never argue with an idiot, people can't tell the difference.

7. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Bring in an old Dell, clean XPSP2 installed, and tell her to wait for it to update. :rolleyes:

Then bring in a clean installed Mac, and wait for it to update. :D

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

To an extent, I'd agree though the problem is that the teacher is clearly not suitably educated about a subject she is teaching - that is worrying. IT professionals have biases and hang ups about odd things, but this is a HS teacher who is supposed to be preparing kids' minds for the next step: clearly, she is failing. She doesn't have to LIKE mac, but she needs to know about it to do her job competently.

My advice to the OP would be to talk it over with his (?) parents. Parents are ultimately the ones responsible for flagging bad teachers - see what they say.

9. JohnAltidoreITT thread starter macrumors newbie

There really isn't anything she could do if I just presented facts in front of her and the class when she went on an Anti-Mac rant. I'm not talking about anything that could honestly get me in trouble, and if she was so bitter about it that she docked me or whatever, I'd take it to the school board.

It's a good saying, and rarely do I argue much, and I pretty much do hold true to that. If I see someone trying to argue with me, and I clearly know they don't know what their talking about, I drop it. Especially if their my age, (I'm an 18 year old senior) but I really expect more out of a teacher, and I just don't think its right that she just gets away with lies like this.

Abstract, that is pretty dam brilliant. :D

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'd ask her how the "heck" she became a technology teacher and be so Mac-retarded.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

So basically, you're arguing with her about a feature that had a problem that was fixed over 10 years ago and then became effectively obsolete a few years later. Are you taking a history class or a computing class?

If she thinks the "majority use" systems older than System 7, there's nothing, I repeat nothing, you're going to do to help her. I mean, forget statistics. That's an assertion so ridiculous that one should not even try to correct the fool makes it.

It would be tantamount to the majority of Windows users still using 3.1. And if the majority used some variant of 7, that would be like the majority of Windows users still being on 95.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while I give IT guys for being hung up about odd things but normally with good reason.

One reason they do not like macs on their network is they are harder to control on a windows network and they never really like outside computers but they have good reasons for what they do.

your teacher on the other hand is an idiot and really the best advice is to let it go. She is not going to give on this and will be blind to the truth. Look at some people on this board who are blind to a lot of problems with apple computers and OSX. they do not want to see the problems so they never will agree with it. No different with your teacher. She only wants to see macs as bad and it is going to stay that way.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Leopard statistics from Steve's keynote at Macworld:

they have delivered over 5 million copies of leapard in 3 months
    that makes it the most successful Mac OS X ever
    that means that 20% of OS X users have updated

You should bring in a PC with a lot of viruses and just let it sit connected to the network. Then let her watch her traffic go up!

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The cruelest thing you can do to this woman is to not teach her anything about Macs, and let her continue to live her life as a complete idiot.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

She may be an idiot, but just let it go. You don't want to get on a teacher's bad side.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Found a bumper sticker yesterday.

Microsoft: So what do you need fixed today?

Stick in on her desk. :cool:

19. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Appletalk is chatty. The good news is that you don't need to use it.

Who the hell uses Appletalk anymore?

20. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, this.

Just take comfort in the fact that you know more about computers than she does. Your classmates will find out soon enough how much better Macs are when they get to college.

21. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Why not bring up how chatty NetBIOS is. You can thank Microsoft for the continued support of it even in XP if you chose to load it.

It's so chatty that VPN connections completely ignore it, because it's counter intuitive to the connection stability.

Note: I make no claims that Microsoft developed NetBIOS, just that they continue to support use of it.

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Appletalk is good for finding printers if you don't know the ip number of it.

You can remind your teacher that X is based on unix. You know, that operating system that's been around since, the '60's and is known to be fairly stable.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Words of wisdom. In the grand scheme of things, this is worth the trouble it could cause. You have to know which battles are worth fighting, and I don't think this one is.

24. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I say, who cares? The reason people try to attack other OSs or defend the one they use, is that they are comfortable with the one they use and know the most. It's like this:

You eat pizza everyday, but your friend eats clam chowder daily instead. One day you recommend that they eat pizza instead of their clam chowder. They're not sure about your pizza and they start saying why they don't want to eat it because they really like clam chowder and say that pizza looks greasy and disgusting. Even when they eat a small piece of pepperoni from the pizza they aren't too impressed, only because they haven't experienced a whole slice. They judge a certain part of the pizza and not all of it's ingredients together.

So the moral of the story is, let people use what OS they want as long as their computer needs are satiated.

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

struck the nail on the head right there