Anti Pickpocket iPhone 5 cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by skippymac, Jun 4, 2013.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi, I'm going travelling in a few weeks to Australia, Vietnam and Cambodia. I want to take my phone as a means of contact and because it's my only camera!

I was wondering what solutions there are for anti theft and anti pickpocket cases for iphones out there? A quick google search for "anti theft iphone" comes up with a load of things like find my iphone and icaughtyou (both of which I have), but let's be honest, if someone in the middle of south east asia has my phone, I'm not getting it back in a hurry, so I'm really looking for something to prevent theft in the first place.

My main thought at the moment is a simple iphone lanyard type case, so I can simply clip my phone to my bag or belt loop.

Any recommendations for that type of case, or other solutions would be welcome. :)

2. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

4. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Thanks guys, the switcheasy case looks pretty good, hopefully I could get a keyring in there to attach a proper lanyard. If you know any others keep 'em coming!

5. viewfly, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Lanyard Case and Zinger

The LifeProof Fre case for the iPhone 5 is waterproof, dust proof, etc, and has a hole for a lanyard.

That coupled with a fly fishing retractor/gear keeper/zinger tool might work. Preferably a retractor with a metal cable, not pure nylon. Most are about 42" long. The Orvis below is nylon over metal cable. they have a 50lbs breaking strength.

Or the Orvis net keeper that uses a magnetic lock and dangling cable.

Maybe the zinger with a pin-on that you can clip into your pants and then retract.
    Just some thoughts...you'll have to figure out the details.

P.S. Been to Hamphsire, UK. Love the place.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=6398
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=318T
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...8&group_id=17492&cat_id=15831&subcat_id=15817

Attached Files:

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Don't bother with this case. The strap can be broken easily. Go with a more robust design.

7. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

That might be a good plan. I'll be diving in the great barrier reef too so might be able to take some pictures with the lifeproof!

It is indeed a beautiful place, whereabouts did you go if you don't mind me asking?

8. hafr macrumors 68030

My kids' mother uses this one: http://www.zoarah.com/patchworks-colorant-link-outdoor-case-for-iphone-5-navy.html

She loves it. Whilst not waterproof like the Fre, it's shock proof and it feels pretty good to be honest, I was definitely positively surprised by it. The strap is made from rubber and feels very safe and durable (we've got two kids tugging on it constantly), but I don't know how well it would fight of a knife, should you be worried someone would simply cut it off.

At least no one's gonna be able to lift it off you without you knowing about it. Just tighten the strap and have it hanging against your chest under your shirt when you're in transport or in a generally unsafe area/not using it, or loosen it and have it hanging against your stomach for easy access to do whatever you want to do with it :)

I'm actually thinking about getting one of my own, because I absolutely love using hers ;)

9. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

That looks like a good solution, hanging around your neck.

Spent time in Winchester and the surrounding areas.