Anti-Procrastination Apps [URL & App Blockers]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by norbiu, Mar 9, 2010.

1. norbiu macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking for a URL & app blocking software for the Mac. I downloaded Concentrate, which is perfect, except for the fact that there's no concentration enforcement, so I can switch it off any time I want to and get back to all the stuff I shouldn't be doing.

Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Anything you install can be overridden/turned off/uninstalled by you. There's no software substitute for self-discipline.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...like not doing things you shouldn't be doing? ;)

4. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

Yeah, Concentrate's pretty much the best you're going to find. Try turning off your modem, that'll help. I understand the feeling though. I went ahead and made an "activity" for study breaks with Concentrate, so it'll open up the apps I use when I'm breaking and shut them off when my time is up. Over time, I just got used to it, and I became more disciplined as a result.

5. juliainor macrumors member

Concentrate is great. If that's not enough enforced discipline for you, well, you have issues that software can't solve ;)

Seriously, it's just software. You can't expect it to *change you.*

I use Concentrate to keep me on a single focus of either school or work rather than multitasking with both and being less efficient. It's a nice tool to keep me from flipping between tasks and getting distracted from the deadline I'm working on. But I can't expect it to be more than that. The actual discipline has to come from me, not Concentrate.

Good luck.

6. jems87 macrumors newbie

Theres actually an App called "self control" you set how long you want it to last, and it blocks the internet completely. I haven't found a way to unblock it once it's blocked, not even restarting will stop it. :p

here's the link to the App.
    http://visitsteve.com/work/selfcontrol/

7. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Perhaps researching on improving your habits or asking a professional for help will probably yield better results then relying on software to fight procrastination.

8. dknightd macrumors 6502