Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norbiu

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi, I'm looking for a URL & app blocking software for the Mac. I downloaded Concentrate, which is perfect, except for the fact that there's no concentration enforcement, so I can switch it off any time I want to and get back to all the stuff I shouldn't be doing.

Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Anything you install can be overridden/turned off/uninstalled by you. There's no software substitute for self-discipline.

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah, Concentrate's pretty much the best you're going to find. Try turning off your modem, that'll help. I understand the feeling though. I went ahead and made an "activity" for study breaks with Concentrate, so it'll open up the apps I use when I'm breaking and shut them off when my time is up. Over time, I just got used to it, and I became more disciplined as a result.

juliainor

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
Concentrate is great. If that's not enough enforced discipline for you, well, you have issues that software can't solve ;)

Seriously, it's just software. You can't expect it to *change you.*

I use Concentrate to keep me on a single focus of either school or work rather than multitasking with both and being less efficient. It's a nice tool to keep me from flipping between tasks and getting distracted from the deadline I'm working on. But I can't expect it to be more than that. The actual discipline has to come from me, not Concentrate.

Good luck.

jems87

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Theres actually an App called "self control" you set how long you want it to last, and it blocks the internet completely. I haven't found a way to unblock it once it's blocked, not even restarting will stop it. :p

here's the link to the App.
http://visitsteve.com/work/selfcontrol/

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Perhaps researching on improving your habits or asking a professional for help will probably yield better results then relying on software to fight procrastination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.