Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I currently own the iPad Mini 2 and thinking of purchasing the current version of this model primarily because of it's anti-reflective coating as I have vision issues (bluriness and glare) and like to do my reading online.

I would appreciate it very much hearing from members who own the current model and their thoughts on how much the anti-reflective coating reduces glare.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
There's a noticeable difference in glare when comparing my Mini 2 to my Mini 4, but it's not as good as a regular matte monitor. It's still a somewhat glossy display and you still have to avoid having light sources behind you. The AR does not eliminate the glare, it merely reduces it. Unfortunately, it also picks up fingerprints like crazy, so if screen smudges distract you as much or even more than reflections, then the AR coating turns into more of a con than a pro.

I have vision issues as well. The more tired I am, the worse it gets. I find the Mini 4 more pleasing to look at. Things just 'pop' more without being oversaturated. White balance is good and colors look natural. The Mini 2 looks dull in comparison and I'm very much aware that there's a sheet of glass between me and the display. As long as I don't have a lamp shining directly into the display or sitting with my back to a window, glare is pretty much a non-issue. It's only when looking at really dark content that I become aware of my own silhouette being reflected by the display.

What I'm trying to say is that there's more to the Mini 4 display that makes it feel like a substantial upgrade over the Mini 2 than just the AR coating. If you're hoping to get something like a matte monitor in terms of reflections though, then you'll end up disappointed.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
There's a noticeable difference in glare when comparing my Mini 2 to my Mini 4, but it's not as good as a regular matte monitor. It's still a somewhat glossy display and you still have to avoid having light sources behind you. The AR does not eliminate the glare, it merely reduces it. Unfortunately, it also picks up fingerprints like crazy, so if screen smudges distract you as much or even more than reflections, then the AR coating turns into more of a con than a pro.

I have vision issues as well. The more tired I am, the worse it gets. I find the Mini 4 more pleasing to look at. Things just 'pop' more without being oversaturated. White balance is good and colors look natural. The Mini 2 looks dull in comparison and I'm very much aware that there's a sheet of glass between me and the display. As long as I don't have a lamp shining directly into the display or sitting with my back to a window, glare is pretty much a non-issue. It's only when looking at really dark content that I become aware of my own silhouette being reflected by the display.

What I'm trying to say is that there's more to the Mini 4 display that makes it feel like a substantial upgrade over the Mini 2 than just the AR coating. If you're hoping to get something like a matte monitor in terms of reflections though, then you'll end up disappointed.

Thanks so much for your reply! I will definitely keep in mind your comments about the mini 4's anti-reflective coating and it's display as this seems like a good upgrade for me (unless I decide to wait for the mini 5!).

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Also noteworthy to consider is that the coating will eventually wear off. And it won't look pretty when it does. Think splotchy. I had it happen to two ipads so I dumped them in the recycling bin. Yet my original ipad Air is going strong with no screen issues.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Also noteworthy to consider is that the coating will eventually wear off. And it won't look pretty when it does. Think splotchy. I had it happen to two ipads so I dumped them in the recycling bin. Yet my original ipad Air is going strong with no screen issues.

Approximately, how long does it take for the coating to wear? Thanks!

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I've had mine since release, so just over a year and the coating is like new. No scratches either. I use it daily and only use a microfiber cloth to clean the screen with. I don't use the microfiber cloth for anything other than cleaning my iPads/iPhone/MacBook display. If the screen is really bad, I use a tiny amount of filtered water on a small part of the cloth. It does the trick for me. Now, if you spray it with windex and use paper towels or some random piece of laundry picked up from the floor, I would expect something bad to happen over time. Basically, I think it all depends on how you take care of your device. But if someone has experience with the coating wearing off from just using a microfiber cloth and some water every now and then, I'd love to hear about it.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
The anti-glare coating is not on the outermost piece of glass. So I don't believe it should come off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.