Anti-reflective coating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I have been reading around and noticed some had an issue with the coating and Apple refuses to call it a defect. I am curious though is this a big issue and should i be worried about it? How much would it even cost to replace it?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's not a common problem, but the folks that it has affected sure do complain loudly.

You should be covered for the time being, but otherwise the repair costs whatever a display replacement will cost.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/17/apple-mbp-ar-coating-quality-program-staingate/

3. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68020

How much would it cost to replace a screen give or take? I read an article about it and they are offering a three year warranty essentially on that particular issue so thats good enough for me. I was going to consider buying Apple care for it but that will do.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd contact Apple.

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

If your current mbpr doesn't have any issues with the screen I wouldn't worry to much about it. When you clean the screen just use water and a microfibre cloth. Don't use detergents, glass cleaner or other chemical products as they can cause the coating to wear off. You can use lens cleaner for glasses, camera lenses etc though as they are designed to be more gentle on coatings. Apple Care may be a good idea considering it gives you 3 years of cover from the date of purchase

6. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Basically what is going on is that the oil and sweat from your hands and fingers (transferred from the keyboard and trackpad to the screen when the laptop is closed) actively break down the atom-thin anti-reflective coating on the screen. This happens for sure when you are a person that has acidic sweat, which is not many people but it's enough to have a few thousand signs on the petition.

regardless, apple will replace it for free, they have a quality assurance program for this. it is definitely a design defect though.

7. DebSil macrumors newbie

DebSil

Mine was just replaced by Apple for free. I knew nothing about this program. My issue started right at top where my thumb touched the screen to open the lid. It just kept growing. I took it in last Friday to have them look at it and they immediately said there was a program to replace it for free, but I had to leave it for 3-5 business days. I made a follow up appointment for the following Monday. As luck would have it, I dropped it from my lap onto ceramic tile on Sunday and rendered it non-operational. It wouldn't turn on, no lights; nothing. Even after that, they still took it in and returned it to me today completely working --- at no charge.

However, the screen is somewhat different; not sure whether of lesser or better quality. There is 1/8 " lip around the edge that wasn't there before, making it a little easier to open the lid without touching the screen. I swear it's heavier too. And even with the brightness all the way up, it's not as bright as before.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Google "staingate".

Sounds to me like that's what you've got.

I believe Apple has a repair program for it ...

9. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

NO! What have you done?!

You've opened our very own Pandora's Box; a Staingate thread.

This way only madness lies.

-but it turns out this is a real issue that affects a notable amount of MacBook owners and it seems to be dawning on Apple.

I bought my 15" 2015 Pro well knowing that there were some coating defects in earlier models.
    -sold it because the AMD GPU throttles like crazy, but I digress.

10. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502

11. mittooboy macrumors newbie

mittooboy

Thanks for all ur replies. I did go to the authorised apple repair here, but they just raised their hands saying that apple has discontinued the offer. I also spoke with the apple support who directed me to https://www.apple.com/in/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
    if you look at the bottom of the page it says that MBP of late 2013 are not covered. And he politely refused.
    Here in India its a big problem. The apple dealer from whom i had purchased closed shop more than a year ago and apple appointed another dealer. That has also increased my inability to get any help.
    I suspect though that more late 2013 MacBook pro laptops are going to have the same issues. Its better if they can support it. I checked with the dealer the cost is more than a 1000USD to replace my retina display plus 18% of taxes.
    I can just manage for now with the screen distortion along the edges but its only increasing.

Thank u all for the support.