Anti-reflective display on 2015 retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleminion, Mar 16, 2015.

1. appleminion, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

appleminion macrumors member

I'm hearing all these horror stories with the older retina MBP anti-reflective coating wearing off, does anyone know if it affects the new 2015 retina MBP? Can someone who has a new one see if their display is fine? I know it's probably too early too tell but if anyone has symptoms of the display coating wearing off I think it's a good indication that Apple didn't fix the problem with the new ones.

Just placed an order for a 2015 retina MBP and considering canceling the order if the issue is still present. Thanks for checking.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Like with any problem, the people affected are a (very) vocal minority.

There are millions of those units out in the wild. Only a few hundred posts. Let's say for the sake of argument that there are 500 posts saying "me too". Let us then say there are about 20 million units. That's less than 0,0025% of machines affected.

Don't worry about it.

3. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

So you're saying that for the few that are affected there was a design problem? If the machines were designed the same wouldn't it affect all of the machines though?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. They just happened to be from a bad batch.

I've had my late-2013 rMBP 13" since November 2013 already and the coating still hasn't come off yet. Same story for my late-2013 15" rMBP and even my work-issued early-2013 15" rMBP.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

The new 2015 rmbp will be prone to the same problem.

6. 2IS macrumors 68030

This post assumes that everyone who has this issue is an active MacRumors forum member.

7. appleminion thread starter macrumors member

say it isn't so :( would you recommend putting a anti-glare screen protector on it???

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, use the various warranty options!

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm aware of that, but it was simply for the argument's sake.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not a vocal fraction of users, as noted. I think the same argument was made for the 2011 MBPs with failing dGPUs. In both cases its an issue affecting a lot of owners.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I read on here

That so far Apple have received somewhere in the region of 400 complaints about this problem. That may well go up with time but rMBP's have been in customer hands for 2 and a half years doesn't seem that wide of a problem to me and Apple seem to be replacing screens that get the problem anyway...

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There definitely won't be any difference with any new models. It is the same coating.
    Mine is the same near the camera like in the picture just a thinner strip. But in all honesty I used to scrub a little harder there to get rid of some what I thought was grease, because there is no screen underneath. I always took care where the actual screen is and it matters and that still looks fine.
    The lost coating looks just like there is a greasy dirty part. If you keep cleaning what cannot be cleaned you make matters much worse. As long as you take care when cleaning and not try too hard to remove anything it is fine. I have only issues on the black border which doesn't really matter to me.

----------

There definitely won't be any difference with any new models. It is the same coating.
    Mine is the same near the camera like in the picture just a thinner strip. But in all honesty I used to scrub a little harder there to get rid of some what I thought was grease, because there is no screen underneath. I always took care where the actual screen is and it matters and that still looks fine.
    The lost coating looks just like there is a greasy dirty part. If you keep cleaning what cannot be cleaned you make matters much worse. As long as you take care when cleaning and not try too hard to remove anything it is fine. I have only issues on the black border which doesn't really matter to me.

But it is kind of normal. These AR coatings have always been somewhat fickly. The same with TVs and other laptops that have them. You can only Apple blame for not developing a better than the usual crap solution. That is why they used glass. Glass is easy to clean and sturdy, it is just crap for visibility unless you get some expensive AR treatment for it. They dropped glass for weight and thickness reasons (because a big glass panel cannot be too thin), but I find a fickle AR coating 1000 times better than glass. It just needs a softer touch.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Really? Source!?

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

What are you referencing to make the claim that it's more than a fraction of a percent? Certainly not the poll, which hasn't gotten anywhere near a statistically relevant sampling of respondents (40 at the time I looked at it).

15. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

even so i would suspect ~18% in the poll, there's no way even with n=40 that it will be .0025% of failed units or something.

That seems fishy to me.

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If they change it to something significantly better they will advertise it. But they are known for keeping things the change not changing such things. They stuck with the same for the last retina iterations and there is no reason to assume that changes.

17. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Hopefully not! :eek: