Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Hi folks, does it makes sense to install a cheap or even expensive screen protector on an iPad Pro or mini 4 iPad? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having anti-reflective technology applied to the screen at the factory? Seems the screens are pretty scratch resistant, do we really need screen protectors anymore? Thoughts?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Hi folks, does it makes sense to install a cheap or even expensive screen protector on an iPad Pro or mini 4 iPad? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having anti-reflective technology applied to the screen at the factory? Seems the screens are pretty scratch resistant, do we really need screen protectors anymore? Thoughts?
I put a matte screen protector on my iPP 9.7 and 10.5. I tried the 10.5 without for a few days and could not stand the glare and the fingerprints. Just because Apple claims that iPP has a nonglare oleophobic screen doesn't make it so, or mine somehow escaped the treatment (being sarcastic here, I know it didn't). Anyway, as pretty as the screen was without the screen protector, I spent more time being annoyed at glare and fingerprints than I did enjoying the screen.

I've used nonglare screen protectors on my devices for nearly two decades (since the Palm IIIc, I think) so I'm accustomed to the slightly grainy appearance and am willing to deal with that so I don't have to look at glare and smudges. I used my 10.5 in a truck while traveling south with the sun glaring through the window and it was great for going through over 10,000 trail camera photos from our camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.