anti spyware for mac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, May 29, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

anyone recommend any anti spyware apps for mac OS X ?
    i know this a PC prone problem, but i am sure macs get cookies and other spyware.......

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

How about Macscan?

There are not many choices out there. I have looked for reviews on anything but found nothing.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Yeah, Macs get cookies. They have other features as well. They are quite incredible, actually.

5. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

What browser are you using --> Safari --> private browsing

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A cookie isn't really spyware.

I can't think of any actual Mac spyware.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

malicious people don't program for macs, because they'd rather hack and lessen the quality of their own os of choice, which i find funny. hehe. anyways, using anti spyware (if it even exists) on a mac is just a waste of resources. and if u really want to run anti spyware for some reason, just install windows : )

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I have not heard of much action on the spyware front for Macs. I have heard rumors of some out there but it has to be rare compared to the amount of malware for Windows.

Cookies that track, are they bad? You decide for yourself. For me it is a privacy issue and I clear out everything on a regular basis.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Funny? Maybe. True? Definitely not.

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Macs do not get Spyware.

Spyware are just Windows programs and rely on the registry, ActiveX etc. to install themselves.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

More often than not, spyware has absolutely nothing to do with the registry or ActiveX. The most common way to be infected from spyware is when it piggybacks on the installation of another program.

Unlike viruses, spyware you be relatively easy to write for OS X. One method would be to bundle it with some freeware program and require an installer. Use the installer to install both the freeware and the spyware. another method would be to compile the spyware directly with the freeware.

As long as you don't use an admin account for everyday use, don't enter your admin password just because the computer asks for it, and don't download programs from untrusted sources, you don't really have to worry about spyware. While this advice pertains to OS X, if you follow it for Windows you'll probably avoid 95% of all spyware out there.

And for cookies, they are generally a good thing as someguy alluded to. MR probably uses cookies to keep you logged in if you so choose to. Clearing cookies or blocking cookies just makes life more difficult for you. Cookies can serve an evil purpose, but if you don't trust a site enough to accept its cookies, then you probably shouldn't be on that site.

13. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

there is an app called little snitch that is a firewall/anti spyware and will notify you of anything going in or out from your computer! they have a free trial too

14. headhammer macrumors regular

cookies can't actually do anything to your computer. they store information used on websites on your computer. for example, macrumors.com sets a cookie when you log in to post in the forums, and each page of the site refers to the cookie to see if you are logged in or not. if you select "remember me on this computer" when you log in, it sets a long-term cookie that is refreshed each time you visit macrumors, so that you don't need to retype this information yourself.

some cookies will give websites information about your computer, such as the web browser you're using, or how fast your processor is, even which website referred you to them, but they cannot access any files on your computer.

the only personal information a cookie is able to grab is what you put into a field on a web page, and then click 'submit'. which is why i don't enter anything i don't want anyone to find that's not already in the telephone book, unless there's the padlock in the top-right. (which, by the way, still doesn't guaruntee your security, it just means the only site that's getting the info is the one you're visiting when you enter it)

cookies are not evil, they are in fact, (in most cases) helpful :)