Anti-theft software and monitoring

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vikdane, Aug 3, 2016.

1. vikdane macrumors newbie

So I came across a program called "Cerberus" which allow your device to take a picture and mail it to you anytime someone misspell your password. It is for androidplatforms though.

Any other program like Cerberus which work on IOS?

And is there any other program you recommend where you can track your mac if it gets stolen?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Enable Find My Mac/Find My iPhone in iCloud. Apple has all this stuff built-in; tracking, remote locking...

No need for a third party app ;)

3. vlug macrumors 6502

I don't ever recall seeing an option for Find My iPhone or Mac to take pictures on failed logins and email them like the OP suggested?

Track via GPS Yes
    Lock Yes
    Play a Sound Yes

Take photo's and email them no? unless I've missed this option.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Prey , for example. Although I never came to testing it out, so uninstalled it.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Pull the hard drive out and any anti-theft software is rendered useless.

They're a gimmick, at best.

6. vlug macrumors 6502

Don't agree.....

In your example your presuming its been stolen, and the type of people who steal Laptops aren't the brainiest of people and chances are they are going to try to login to it a few times, just to be nosey or invade someone's privacy and if the software catches at least 1 snap of him/her, with GPS coords this can result in an arrest.

Another example of this being useful is if someone IS just being nosey, its on your desk at work and your secretary tries it, or a spouse/friend in your home tries, its not saying much about them but still its good to have.

Not everyone is gonna pull the HD/Wipe it and reinstall when putting in wrong passwords.

7. UAV macrumors regular

find my iphone is no match for cerberus. i been using cerberus for over 4 years now. and it top notch. there is a setting in cerberus that lets you hide it from the app drawer and it's on a hidden partition. so even if they do a factory reset or wipe the drive cerberus is on a hidden partition.