Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
I have found this amazing app that has a lot great features that helps you recover your iPhone in case of theft or if you lost it.

Unfortunatly you need to have a jailbroken iPhone to use this app because Apple don't care and do nothing to stop this big issue.

Why there is no option in iOS to turn off the iPhone only with your password? The same to use Airplane mode?

The easy way to block find my iPhone is to shut it down, it takes more time to remove the sim and this issue could also be solved by Apple to use a magnet inside that don't let you remove the sim card if you don't use the password or touch id.

Another thing that could help is to link an iPhone serial number to an iCloud account, when you buy your iPhone you will make the link and if it gets stolen nobody could use it even they delete all the info because it will be linked to an iCloud account. The only way to disable this is by entering the icloud password and changing to another account, but the first owner will get an email confirming this change and also getting the info of the new account linked to the iPhone or iPad.

Everytime a stolen iPhone conects to the app store or other service Apple gets the serial numer and other information, they know exactly where the stolen iPhones are located and they could also block all services when people report a stolen iPhone.

I am sure that Apple could do hundred of things to stop theft, but after years of waiting to see something new about this issue everything is the same.

What other ideas do you think Apple could do to avoid theft.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have found this amazing app that has a lot great features that helps you recover your iPhone in case of theft or if you lost it.

Unfortunatly you need to have a jailbroken iPhone to use this app because Apple don't care and do nothing to stop this big issue.

Why there is no option in iOS to turn off the iPhone only with your password? The same to use Airplane mode?

The easy way to block find my iPhone is to shut it down, it takes more time to remove the sim and this issue could also be solved by Apple to use a magnet inside that don't let you remove the sim card if you don't use the password or touch id.

Another thing that could help is to link an iPhone serial number to an iCloud account, when you buy your iPhone you will make the link and if it gets stolen nobody could use it even they delete all the info because it will be linked to an iCloud account. The only way to disable this is by entering the icloud password and changing to another account, but the first owner will get an email confirming this change and also getting the info of the new account linked to the iPhone or iPad.

Everytime a stolen iPhone conects to the app store or other service Apple gets the serial numer and other information, they know exactly where the stolen iPhones are located and they could also block all services when people report a stolen iPhone.

I am sure that Apple could do hundred of things to stop theft, but after years of waiting to see something new about this issue everything is the same.

What other ideas do you think Apple could do to avoid theft.
What about something I will call iCloud Activation Lock?

The way this would work is that if your device is stolen and the thief restores your device without first logging out of Find My iPhone (which would require the thief to know your Apple ID and password) then the device will ask for the owner's Apple ID and password before allowing the thief to continue activating the phone. Without that information I'd make it so the phone's a brick.

This new app I'd create called Find My iPhone would also allow you to flash a message to your device, remote wipe your device and/or sound an audible alarm. You'd also be able to track your device using GPS!

Pretty cool idea huh? Wonder if Apple would go for it?

But you know, maybe not. Apple's pretty lax about device security.

Ah well, what a shame. This whole iCloud Activation Lock idea I have might have been a thing!

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
This is a joke right? It's hard enough the thief has to go through the trouble of acquiring the phone, why make their life harder. I'm glad Apple doesn't implement these features.

Reactions: I7guy and eyoungren

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Yea sure, I'll jailbreak my phone to put some unknown security software on it. Nope... :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yea sure, I'll jailbreak my phone to put some unknown security software on it. Nope... :)
Well…it's a known tweak in the jailbreak community. But I get your point. :)

Personally, if I were to reinstall a security tweak I'd go back to iCaughtU Pro which I bought a long time ago.

Reactions: borgsauce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.