Anti Virius software when running windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr M5, May 28, 2011.

1. Mr M5 macrumors regular

So, I now have Parallels setup on my mac pro running windows 7. Parallels came with a free trial of Kaspersky and it got me thinking about what kind of anti virus software I should be running.

I'm running Kasperkey and I anti virus (free) right now but what is everybody else running? I know macs are known for not getting virus but it seems like more and more are coming out for mac's.

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

oh, you started something now ;)

there are no viruses for Mac. what you're seeing is malware !

Mac Virus/Malware Info

3. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, you have to forgive my lack of tech language. :D

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

So, do you want advise on antivirus software for Windows or for Mac OS X?

If Windows: The PCs in my household run BitDefender Antivirus, and it works great. Recommended.

If Mac OS X: None.

6. thom612 macrumors newbie

It's probably fair to call any type of malicious software, including viruses, "malware". The current problematic malicious software, on both Mac and PC, is FakeAV, which is a trojan horse.

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

okay, i'll make a note to say "there's no self-spreading malware (like a virus) for Mac" in future :D

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I just use the free microsoft security essentials now on my windows setups. Haven't had any issues yet. And on the plus side, it seems to have less cpu overhead than norton and some of the others I've tried.

9. RockPortTech macrumors regular

A really good PC anti-virus that happens to be free is Avast! (that's the real name including exclamation mark), put that on your mac if you are using windows alot since you could transfer viruses from mac to pc actually if your copy files over etc.

10. thom612 macrumors newbie

Fair enough, but there probably could be. There's no benefit to pretending as though computer viruses are a phenomenon that is unique to Microsoft Windows in the history of computers. Really it has to do with timing. Self spreading viruses just haven't been that big a problem recently. Right now trojans are popular: for Windows, and more recently, for Macs.

11. WeetaBiXie macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

Totally agree on this.... Microsoft Security Essentials have low overheads and have regular updates. Being FREE is a major plus!:D

12. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just use the free antivirus that Microsoft provides. Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and there are definition updates almost everyday.

13. Mr M5 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the answer is yes to both. I didn't bootcamp windows, so I'm not sure where the line falls now between windows and mac.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Viruses aren't unique to Windows. In fact, the first virus in the wild was written for Apple computers. However, no Mac virus has been released into the wild since Mac OS X was released 10 years ago. Until one is created, Viruses are unique to Windows and older versions of Mac OS. Trojans have always been around, and are easily thwarted by an informed and prudent user.