Anti-Virus Advice

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xemi, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Xemi macrumors newbie

So I've just installed a 100GB partition Windows 7 using Boot Camp just for the sake of running certain games that don't have OS X support. So I have a couple of noobie questions if someone would be kind enough to answer :)

1. If, for example, I was unlucky and got a somewhat random virus on the Windows partition, is there any way that it can affect my OS X partition?

2. I haven't used Windows for around 5-6 years really, so was wondering if anyone could suggest a somewhat decent FREE anti-virus? (I understand AVG was good but was extremely clunky/resource hogging when I used it, is this still the case?)

Thanks a bunch

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. You would have to intentionally set things up so your Windows partition would be able to write to the Mac OS X partition. It's not something a normal user would do.
    I've had good success with AVG.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my Windows antivirus. It's very lightweight and doesn't popup random messages all the time about starting a scan, finishing a scan, updating or whathnot. I like my programs to be quiet unless something REALLY important needs my attention. :)

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

for the free anti-virus... my heart goes to Avast 5! its one of the best.. the con to this is it pops up messages saying "virus database has been updated" but you can turn on gaming mode too so!!!

GO AVAST!!