Anti-virus, do I need one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rossatron, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

hey all,

should i get an anti virus for osx? if yes, any recommendations on which one should i get?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, you don't need any anti-virus apps for OS X. Although not immune to malware, there has never been a virus in the wild that has effected OS X. Other forms of malware could conceivably effect OS X, but safe computing practices should avoid this.

If you really want an app to check for malware infect, ClamXav is a good choice. Run it occasionally...it is not necessary to have it running in the background so it is not using other resources.

My guess is GGJstudios will be along sometime soon, and he will give you links to help you with safe computing.

(How did I do, GGJ??:D)

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Unless you're looking at naughty sites (and you shouldn't, but that's another discussion), all that an AV will do is slow down your system. Consider turning off Java in Safari's preferences.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

in addition to the above suggestion, go to Safari > Preferences > General...go to the very bottom of the page and make sure "Safe Files" is NOT checked.

5. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you explain why?

but if i do that, won't i lose a lot of web feature (Facebook and such)?

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The most honest answer I can give you is that I was so instructed to do so as part of safe computing by those far more knowledgable than I! :eek:

I believe that it reduces the probability that malware, not identified as such by the operating system filters, can be carried in on some file. I means that you are required to approve any downloaded files.

Or something like that.:eek:

Others can explain the more technical aspects far better than I.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because you don't want Safari automatically opening files that could contain malware. At the very least you can review them from your download folder and make the determination yourself

8. saotomefirst macrumors regular

Nope, disabling Java doesn't mean UNINSTALLING it... if you feel the need, you can always re-enable it if you wish. However, disabling it by default will prevent malicious sites from executing it to install bad stuff on you machine.

And as far as I know, Facebook is HTML based, not Java. But then again, if you feel the need, just re-enable Java whenever needed.

9. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

OP, Javascripts is not related to Java. Javascript was an unfortunate naming decision by Mozilla.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Hey, I was pretty close!:eek:

Not bad for a dope!!:p

:D

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The OP doesn't need any sort of anti-virus. Even turning off Java is a little conservative, but can't say the warnings are wrong.

Even looking at "naughty sites" will not ever require you install AV. There has never been a Mac trojan documented as being sourced from any pr0n sites.

And look at naughty sites all you want, what's wrong with that?

12. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

done!

thanks for explaining

thank you for explaining. made the change

thanks! followed the guide and changes what was recommended.

thank you everybody!

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I had/have OS X (and Classic before) since 10.0 beta, never got infected by anything.

14. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

Lots of good advice above....

To answer this question... Most people would never even know if Java was turned off... it is rarely used nowadays. Java has, however, had several vulnerabilities identified and Apple turned it off automatically until fixes were identified. I believe the OS turns Java off after a period of time if it's not used in anycase. If you do happen to hit that rare site that needs Java the OS will ask what you want to do. I least that is what I think I remember reading. Others will weigh in and correct me I'm sure.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. It (Java web plugin) automatically gets turned off if not used for 35 days. Also, the new Safari 6.04 update has a new control for Java that will present a permission popup anytime you hit a site that wants to use Java. Your allow/deny choice in that popup is remembered under the settings button I marked here.

[​IMG]

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This question will bring up many disagreements. I worked with guys in Data security (they handle malware), and they tell me....yes. So I tend to go the way of the professionals here. Even Apple states on their website that they are not immune. If you have it and never need it then great. If you don't have it and end up needing it..ouch.

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, anyone that says a Mac needs anti-virus software is not to be trusted for any kind of Mac tech support.