Anti-Virus for Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkeopadubsy, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkeopadubsy macrumors newbie

im new to having a mac. but im curious is it necessary to have an anti-virus program for it since its not able to get any viruses? or could they get viruses?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

3. celticpride678

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

You must have this copied to a sticky on your desktop. lol

5. sridvijay macrumors newbie

Probably Not...

Mac's are still prone to viruses, but the chances of you getting one is probably 1 in a million - if you know what your doing and have some common sense - then your fine the way you are right now! Enjoy your new mac!:)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune, but they're not "prone" to viruses. No Mac OS X viruses exist in the wild. Read the link I posted for facts.

7. Eyerish macrumors newbie

I know this is an old post and these answers where correct when they where posted but we do have a virus issue today. June 2011.

It's still too early to be recommending every new Mac user get an antivirus program but you DO need to be careful when you install new app. For someone who's new to the Mac I recommend sticking to the Mac App Store for your new software.

Current Mac viruses are installing on Mac systems by pretending to be legit Mac apps because they require you to 'install' them before they can work (unlike some Win-Viruses that can run and install itself if you have open ports in your firewall).

Just be careful what you install, don't be tricked into installing anything 'free' that's offered in a pop-up windows or an email.

Think before you click, the Mac will protect itself against 99.9% of attacks but you can still shoot yourself in you foot if you don't pause and think before clicking the install button.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, we don't have a virus issue. Did you read the thread? There ARE no Mac OS X viruses. None.
    Those aren't viruses. They're trojans. Read the link I posted to learn the difference.

9. tkeopadubsy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your guys answers and helpful hints and tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.