Anti Virus? If so which one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac abuser, Aug 17, 2008.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I'm wondering which Anti-Virus program to go with IF I should even bother. I've been a MAC user for years, and know that they are not really nessasary however my paranoia lately has been getting me. Especially the other day when I was surfing Olympic stuff and something jacked my browser (firefox) and I have to force quit to get out of it.

I hate that they don't make an all in one. What are people using out there?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Antivirus?

Seriously, it's not needed. Mac OSX is as safe as houses.

This is not Microsoft Windows. :cool:

By the way: This should be posted here.

R-Fly

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

anti-virus for macs do not truly exist. the main ones (norton etc) are written for macs yet use the definition files (the files that tell it what is and what isnt a virus) that windows uses, so it only protects the mac from windows viruses

anyway, there isn't a single mac virus in the wild, and the thing that 'jacked' your browser will only have affected firefox, and something causing it to freeze is not the same as hijacking it

and this is definitely posted in the wrong section

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

LOL. How do you become 6502 and not know that Macs don't need AV, and post it in the iPhone forum?

5. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Hey cut me some slack good god men... It was an ACCIDENT CALM DOWN about your beloved board. I like this site also it was an error

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

It's o.k. Some people here can be testy at times... You don't need AV software for your mac, but if you were to use windows on your mac through bootcamp, I suggest using something free like AVG or Avast Antivirus... And for future references, this is definitely the wrong forum to post this thread in. ;)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

ClamXav is a decent free, lightweight AV app for OS X. It doesn't help the Mac side of things since there aren't really any viruses in the wild, but it will help prevent you from passing along Windows viruses to either your own PCs or your friends'.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Virtual sex is a lot like real sex, knowing your partner, and not getting talked into doing something stupid will likely protect you from most infections. ;)

9. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

I have ClamXav. Just in case.
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24449
    It's free.
    But I still believe that you can use MacOSX safely without a viruschecker.