Anti-virus programmes?

el_avocado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Arizona
Forgive me if this comes across as a dumb question (as I've mentioned before, I'm new to Mac), but do any of you use an anti-virus programme or do you (personally) feel that using a Mac is sufficient enough?

If you do use an anti-virus programme, what is a good affordable one to use for the Mac?

I want to download a file-sharing programme, but I'm afraid to do so until I get an anti-virus programme installed, and so this is why I ask.

Thanks for the help, advice, stories, etc. in advance!

Cheers!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This has been covered a million times. Don't worry about viruses for mac. There aren't any. Assuming you use tiger, there are no antivirus programs for that will even work (unless one came out in the last month that I was unaware of).

el_avocado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Arizona
grapes911 said:
This has been covered a million times. Don't worry about viruses for mac. There aren't any. Assuming you use tiger, there are no antivirus programs for that will even work (unless one came out in the last month that I was unaware of).
A million times? Really?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
el_avocado said:
A million times? Really?
Close enough... feels like it, anyway...

Seriously, you don't need AV, just backup your data at regular intervals and you should be protected against all sorts of computer problems, including a hypothetical Mac OS X virus sometimes in the future... ;)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
el_avocado said:
Forgive me if this comes across as a dumb question (as I've mentioned before, I'm new to Mac), but do any of you use an anti-virus programme or do you (personally) feel that using a Mac is sufficient enough?

If you do use an anti-virus programme, what is a good affordable one to use for the Mac?

I want to download a file-sharing programme, but I'm afraid to do so until I get an anti-virus programme installed, and so this is why I ask.

Thanks for the help, advice, stories, etc. in advance!

Cheers!
honestly, dont worry, even when using file-sharing programmes. just check that your firewall is turned (system preferences > sharing).

if you do feel the need for a anti-virus programme - then whatever you do, keep away from norton!

el_avocado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Arizona
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Close enough... feels like it, anyway...

Seriously, you don't need AV, just backup your data at regular intervals and you should be protected against all sorts of computer problems, including a hypothetical Mac OS X virus sometimes in the future... ;)
Okay, if you say so!

el_avocado

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Arizona
russed said:
honestly, dont worry, even when using file-sharing programmes. just check that your firewall is turned (system preferences > sharing).

if you do feel the need for a anti-virus programme - then whatever you do, keep away from norton!
Thank you!