Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slothzilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
I usually use malwarebytes to scan my windows machines however it isn't compatible on OS X. What AV scans would you guys recommend for my mac book pro?

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I don't know of a virus ever infecting OSX but there has been a few malware issues. If you're careful with what you're downloading and opening from the internet the chances of problems are pretty slim.

Apple's latest OS polices all that now. Maybe a little too much.

I have MacScan but it hasn't found anything worse than tracking cookies since I purchased it years ago to rid my Mac of a malware problem.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I run OS X on my Mac. It's made by the same people who made the computer and wrote the operating system. They've got some really smart computer people working there and a long history of architecting good software. I've got no good reason to believe that anyone else can protect my machine better than they do. ;)

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
I run OS X on my Mac. It's made by the same people who made the computer and wrote the operating system. They've got some really smart computer people working there and a long history of architecting good software. I've got no good reason to believe that anyone else can protect my machine better than they do. ;)

I take it you don't work IT professionally. tell this to an auditor for any compliance inspection you may be under and the first time you say this you may lighten the mood a bit and get a laugh.

When they go but seriously what is your company's implemented av/as solution you do not want to use this same joke twice.

Even my company mac's have av/as. makes no sense if we spend tons of man hours locking down cisco, dell and M$ stuff...and in comes the bad stuff from bob in the graphics department running av free.

Even apple has some av/as in place at least on the sales side assuming they use apple hardware/os for that side. Keep in mind this could be an accountant's mac connecting remotely to the data....its in scope in some way (I won't bore with the details of PCI-DSS for CC handling here) and will be av/as'd up.

Why? When apple gets audited for its business side...you do not want to tell an auditor there is no av/as on system/server that handles CC data. Makes an auditor's day...the red ink just starts to make that paper bleed from that point.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Here is a serious question. What if you did work in a Windows IT shop and when the security auditors come around you say you rely on Micriosoft Security Essentials? Is that ok or is there some reason IT professionals think the security software has to be from someone other than the OS maker? Why don't other industries have the same opinion? Nobody asks what brand of airbag I use in my car, or insists that my deadbolt be made by a different company than my regular lock.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Here is a serious question. What if you did work in a Windows IT shop and when the security auditors come around you say you rely on Micriosoft Security Essentials? Is that ok or is there some reason IT professionals think the security software has to be from someone other than the OS maker? Why don't other industries have the same opinion? Nobody asks what brand of airbag I use in my car, or insists that my deadbolt be made by a different company than my regular lock.

Your short answer is M$ lacked a nice server management system when they first rolled this out. Vendors like Symantec and Macaffee...they put a lot of effort into this server front end long ago. As once a company is hooked...its hard to pull it out sometimes. If any better in the couple of years since release I do not know in regards to ease of admin and such for many computers.

I liked M$' stuff when I ran a pc (mac conversion was 4 years ago). Home use fine. It didn't have a nice admin server front end though. I am an admin in mixed shop that favored symantec long ago. I have 1300+ clients on my network.

One of its good things from an admin aspect is its Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager server setup gives me lots of convenience. Package pushes, reporting, policy control, remote virus investigation and scanning (if I get hits on reporting I am pretty sure are false positives I can with a few clicks get detailed reporting and run scans on the suspect with the user never even having to be bothered)...over the years they have gotten this pretty good.

In terms of audit the reporting is also nice. My last audit I sat down with my auditor and went down the list of items. Screens shots of server config, policies going to clients and actual client reporting. Was not very painful (well less painful than other areas I also am lead on lol). Only leg work on their part was spot checks on various sites. Random sample client check bounced off server, good to go.

Now if M$ got better here I don't know as I said. They should have released a rudimentary server at launch of the the "home" client imo. This had companies go well lets go to the other guy if starting out. Those other guys...to keep up license renewals get real friendly. Symantec sales team is pretty good. Get to seem them once if not twice a year. They work hard to keep our renewal money flowing. And offer up other services, ofc.

That and in our case like I said I have mac's in the enterprise. Symantec supports that. Macaffee I believe does as well as do other known names. In one console I see what is going on with my windows and my macs. Something I can almost guarantee M$ would never support. I remember a great vm software app for windows called virtual PC. Did windows guests nice. Did linux guests nice too. Then M$ bought the technology. And for mysterious reasons (not...) linux support went away (unless you worked out some complicated work arounds).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So if I understand correctly, you were swayed as an IT pro by better control and reporting.

In one console I see what is going on with my windows and my macs.

I'm not sure what this means. Does IT look over my shoulder while I'm working?

This thread is about whether third-party security software is needed on top of the OS. On personal Macs I still say no. On corporate Macs I would still think no. I think OS X Server provides the necessary reporting and control that IT requires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.