Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTeacherDude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this board and my apologizes if this has been addressed before.

I'm a computer teacher at an elementary school and we are a Mac campus. I have several G5 servers, including one running 10.4.6 that is used to host our home directories.

Our district recently purchased the Norton Corporate Edition (10.0) and requested that we install it on all of our client machines. My quandary is that the repeated infections which I see (mostly Macro related things) are located on my Docs server (primarily in my teacher's e-mail attachment folders).

The problem: After repeated tests on my part, I come to the conclusion that the Norton client install doesn't address infections when the corrupt file is hosted on another drive (or if the user is operating under a managed environment, which we are through Workgroup Manager).

My question: Even though I've been advised against doing so, would it be make sense to install Norton and run the Auto Protect feature on my Docs server? Several of my colleagues have recommended against this, b/c they believe it would pose a conflict with that way that OS X server operates.

Thanks in advance for any input than can be offered.

Brian

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
MacTeacherDude said:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this board and my apologizes if this has been addressed before.

I'm a computer teacher at an elementary school and we are a Mac campus. I have several G5 servers, including one running 10.4.6 that is used to host our home directories.

Our district recently purchased the Norton Corporate Edition (10.0) and requested that we install it on all of our client machines. My quandary is that the repeated infections which I see (mostly Macro related things) are located on my Docs server (primarily in my teacher's e-mail attachment folders).

The problem: After repeated tests on my part, I come to the conclusion that the Norton client install doesn't address infections when the corrupt file is hosted on another drive (or if the user is operating under a managed environment, which we are through Workgroup Manager).

My question: Even though I've been advised against doing so, would it be make sense to install Norton and run the Auto Protect feature on my Docs server? Several of my colleagues have recommended against this, b/c they believe it would pose a conflict with that way that OS X server operates.

Thanks in advance for any input than can be offered.

Brian

The last time I tried to do that with Norton, it crashed both the Mac and the server. This would be a Very Bad Thing.

Notify your IT people and request that THEY run disinfection on the server.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Since most people here are mac users and most of them dont have experince doing this stuff.

Not bashing them. Just bettween lack of experince and understand AV software. You answer are going to unhelpful and untrustworthy as a whole at best.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/ go to this forum and post the same question. The answer will be quite a bit better. More adult like as a whole and less blant bashing of windows.

They dont bash macs much if at all. Quite a few of them own and like macs and the mods tend to make sure there is no bashing going around.

so go to http://www.sharkyforums.com/ or even overclockers.com and ask the question. As a whole the forums understand this stuff a lot better than mac rumors. Plus the understand of the stuff as whole is a lot better on average so you not going to have to worry about getting a lot of xxx sucks and stuff.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Timepass said:
Since most people here are mac users and most of them dont have experince doing this stuff.

Rude. You sent the OP off to another website to fend for himself. Rather than bashing this forum and its contributors, you would be much better served by linking the OP to specific page on the Sharky.com website that addresses his needs.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Timepass said:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

For the record, there are PLENTY of excellent sources of information on this site that have plenty of experience "doing this stuff".

Timepass said:
Not bashing them. Just bettween lack of experince and understand AV software. You answer are going to unhelpful and untrustworthy as a whole at best.

I'm curious what makes you an expert on the subject?

Anyway...

Your Tiger servers have ClamAV built-in. Can't/shouldn't you give that a shot?

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
yellow said:
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

For the record, there are PLENTY of excellent sources of information on this site that have plenty of experience "doing this stuff".

I'm curious what makes you an expert on the subject?

Anyway...

Your Tiger servers have ClamAV built-in. Can't/shouldn't you give that a shot?

Reason for sending him else I refer you to endless post that tend to bash AV software around here. Bash Symantec endless.

I never said I knew so much about it. But I knew where to send him to get a good answer. And as a whole those forums have people who understand how to run a server much better here.

This thread is an example of it. It already turn into bash me because I saw the fact that looking at other sites boards is more than likely a good solution. They have more people who do this stuff. Much fewer random people who dont know the stuff.

Also the reason I only posted a link to the forums is because I dont remember seeing a topic like this appear and it not going to be on the site. It going to be in the forums who I know for a fact there are quite a few very active memebers who are IT admins.

I didnt lie when I said as a whole those forums have a much better understanding of the stuff than macrumors ones.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Timepass said:
Bash Symantec endless.

Mainly because they suck and are totally self-serving by preying on consumer's fears and lack of knowledge. Not to mention writting terrible software.

It's great that you offered a site that might get him the answer that he needs. However, you might have been a little more tactful going about it and not accusing the entire MR community of being idiots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.