Anti Virus Software, Does it interfere with other Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by offshoresa65s, Mar 25, 2009.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

I haven't had any problems with computer viruses ever since I started using a Mac back in 2001.

I kind of feel that we Mac users are on notice regards safety in the future.

Does anyone run any brand of Anti Virus software?

Does it cause problems with other programs?

I mainly use FCS 2, Logic 8, Toast, Reason 2.5

Any one's recent experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

O

Macpro 2.8 x 8
    OSX.5.6
    RR Raid 2314 card
    Firmtek 5 x Bay Raid Enclosure

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Norton is known to cause system trouble.

iAntiVirus can damage files when it quarantines them.

Intego's Virus Barrier leaves files scattered all over the system if it is uninstalled.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Imo installing anti-virus apps is not worth it because of what they do to your system. Norton is basically a virus within itself because it is impossible to uninstall. As the previous poster said, some of them leave behind files that cause issues and that the computer can't associate with the anti-virus program, and therefore cannot be uninstalled because the computer can't find them. If you are decently careful about what you download, you will not have any problems in terms of viruses/trojans/malware, etc.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

THERE ARE NO VIRUSES on OSX.

Since there are no viruses, anti-virus cannot determine what is a virus at this time.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bit security
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/16/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_security.html

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. offshoresa65s thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

I'd like to thank the consultant for the links to those articles.

From reading the first article I would agree that I, am probably the weakest link.

I've noticed that any thing downloaded from the internet ends up in the download folder on the dock.

For example, every time I open Google Earth the inherent OSX check box asks me for permission to open any Doc or App. I'm sure you've come across the "this is a file down loaded from the internet, do you want to open it?" message.

I guess that is rerassuring to know that OSX is clever enough to warn me, but I would have to say that I usually take it for granted that my computer is eminently more intelligent than me.

I could just as easily authorise the machine to open a file and not know it contained malware.

But, I guess I just have to keep the faith that OSX is not targeted, by virtue of the fact that it doesn't have the global market share of MS and that OSX deelopement has the inbuilt protection written in it's Unix Linux type code.

I think I'm going to hold of buying any anti virus stuff for now.

Cheers

O

7. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

I'd like to point out that while there are no viruses for Macs, there are a few trojans out in the wild for Macs. A trojan can't spread itself like some of the more damaging Windows malware out there, but it can still do your system harm. They are essentially pieces of software that pretend to be something else, so you have to actually attempt to install them and enter your password and all that, but regardless, it is malware and it is for Macs.

Exercising caution while downloading and installing programs is your best layer of security. I personally don't run any antivirus software on my Mac, simply because I trust that I can protect myself from malicious downloads, and even then, the chances of actually downloading a trojan are slim. There aren't many, and those that do exist aren't extremely widespread or damaging anyway. Some of the more recent ones are the iWork.Services trojan found in pirated copies of iWork 09, and newer yet is OSX/RSPlug-F (information can be found here: http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/03/25/apple-mac-malware-caught-camera/

Like I said, I don't run antivirus software either, but I figured I should give you some information and let you make your own decision about whether you need it or not. :)

8. jeremybuff macrumors regular

The negatives severely outweigh the positives in regards to having anti-virus software on your Mac. Your best bet? Keep that damn sexy mac backed up- if you get a virus, wipe it, reload your files, rejoice you listened to me and made backups :).

Be careful on the Internet. I like Little Snitch for firewall/protection. It doesn't help with viruses or trojans, but it's good general security. Oh yea, there are a few nice apps out there that scan your mac for trojans. I found one (forgot the name.. I'd have to search for it) that I download and run every once in a while, then delete. Never found anything, but hey it might one day if I get a trojan..