Anti-virus software for Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeekSquadCIA, Feb 16, 2009.

1. GeekSquadCIA macrumors newbie

GeekSquadCIA

I know that ClamAV is one of the better anti-virus programs out there for Mac OS X, but I hate having to use the terminal every time that I want to run a scan. Does anyone know of a comparable anti-virus program that is reliable and that has actually caught anything that is harmful to the Mac OS? I don't mind paying for a program that I know for sure works (I already have Little Snitch and love that program). Thanks for any help.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use ClamXav if you want a GUI frontend for ClamAV.

Little Snitch is nothing to do with anti-virus it is just a firewall.

3. GeekSquadCIA thread starter macrumors newbie

GeekSquadCIA

I know that Little Snitch isn't an antivirus program, I was just saying that I paid for Little Snitch because I know that it is a good program. I was just meaning that if there is a really good antivirus program out there that will protect me, I don't mind paying for it. Any other suggestions on antivirus programs? I have seen a lot of people saying something about iAntivirus, but that sounds a little fishy to me, don't you think?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No app exists that can detect a virus in Mac OS X, because there are no Mac OS X viruses in existence. The only threat to watch for is a trojan, which can easily be avoided by watching what you install on your Mac and where you get it from. Nothing can be installed on your Mac unless you actively install it, which requires you entering your administrator password.

If you use MRoogle to search the forums, you'll find that this topic, like many others, has been discussed repeatedly in over 600 threads:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=virus+site:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=14762539

5. GeekSquadCIA thread starter macrumors newbie

GeekSquadCIA

Thanks...

That is what I thought. I knew that nothing could install on the Mac without having my administrator password and I definitely don't use any bit-torrent stuff. Thanks for the info!

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.