Anti Virus Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Topper, May 28, 2011.

1. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I doubt anybody uses it but I've got ask:
    Does anyone use anti-virus software?
    The obvious question would be why would anybody do so but a Mac friend wants to know.

2. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I bought MacKeeper which has an integrated anti-virus engine. Seems to have no impact on my Mac. Real-time scanning is off but I run weekly for the heck of it.
    Also tried Sophos, which is nice.

Is this even needed? Perhaps not right this second, but it appears that could change at any time.

3. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

Thank you.

4. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

It's not necessary. There are no viruses written for OSX.

5. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

Yes, thank you.
    I just wanted to see if there are other people out there like Les Kern who would rather be safe than sorry.

6. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

Because there are no viruses, the antivirus has no idea what to look for making it a waste of resources. The best way to avoid malware and trojans is to use a bit of common sense. Mac Virus/Malware Info.

7. Topper thread starter macrumors 65816

Topper

Yes, I know, you are preaching to the choir.
    Problem is my friend has been paranoid ever since MacDefender.
    And, yes, I know MacDefender is not a virus.
    Thank you.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If MacKeeper is not a scam, then it is the closest thing to it. You ought to be suspicious when the word featured most prominently in the developer-sponsored "reviews" of the product is "SCAM." It is a port of the developer's Windows utility suite. MacOS X and Windows are fundamentally different at their cores. A port of Windows utilities to the Mac cannot be expected to be of any use.

Let me end on this note. The test of a product is that that it does not harm. The test is that the product performs tasks worthy of its purchase price. MacKeeper does nothing that your Mac needs done. The fact that it does no harm is scant consolation.

9. Nikh macrumors regular

Actually, at the moment there are no any dangerouse viruses for Mac OS/Linux, mostly because not that many people uses them (it is easier to write virus for Windows, and it will reach wider auditory). So you don't need any anti-virus software, even if any exists.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd tell your friend to uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading in Safari, and tell them that no website can scan their computer for malware, so if they see such a display, it's bogus. If anything downloads that they didn't specifically want to download, delete it. That's all they need to do to be fully protected against MacDefender.
    "because not that many people uses them"? What about the 50 million Mac OS X systems out there? What about the roughly 1 million more being sold every month? The market share theory is hogwash.

11. Nikh macrumors regular

Comparing 50-100 millions of Mac OS X systems to 90% of market share of Microsoft Windows, that doesn't look so much ) Goal of virus is to reach as many computers as possible.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nonsense. There were viruses for the Mac back when it had a fraction of the current number of users. The Mac market share and installed base were much smaller many years ago, and yet there were viruses that affected Mac OS 9 and earlier. Explain that with your market share theory.

13. Nikh macrumors regular

Some viruses can be written just for fun, or for specific target.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thank you for proving my point that the market share theory is bogus. Your posts contradicting yourself proves my point quite well.