Anti Virus Software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nexrus, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Nexrus macrumors newbie

Im knew to macs so I hope this doesnt sound too stupid.... could someone suggest a good/free anti virus application? I know its much harder to get viruses on macs but its still possible, right?

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

No, it's not a stupid question.

In 18 years using Mac OSes. I've only had a single reason to install anti-virus software: the auto-start worm.

Today, the most dangerous threats come from trojans, phishing, and plain old social engineering. No Mac-based anti-virus software I'm aware of will protect you from that.

3. I3eXa macrumors 6502

unless you have windows installed via bootcamp/parallels or something, you don't need anti-virus software.

4. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I've always used Intego, not free but I've been pretty happy with them. They sell bundles that contain Virus Barrier along with VMWare Fusion and Bitdefender for Windows for £69.95, only £20 more than VMWare Fusion on its own.

5. sadilak macrumors member

Avast Antivirus - If you happen to have a windows based PC , the same. Avast is awesome.

6. Nexrus thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a windows machine... but I have anti virus software for that. I want something for mac... that is if thers a point. I was hoping you guys could convince me that macs rule the world and they dont ever have to worry about that stuff. :)

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

The only reason for it is so you don't pass on stuff to others through e-mail - but then again, they should have their own anti-virus ;)

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

ClamXav if you don't want to pass viruses on to your PC, otherwise not needed.