Antiglare discontinued by next MBP revision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Feb 20, 2013.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

While Apple continues to develop their rMBP, I wonder when the antiglare alternative will be phased out.

I for one can't stand glossy screens, the glare causes eyestrain after about 2 hours of work. The rMBPs aren't as bad, but I still prefer the antiglare screens.

I'm thinking I should purchase a new antiglare before the next revision just in case. What do you think?

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

There's a common consensus that the classic chassis is on its way out. At ~6 years on that design, no one would really be surprised- they already killed the much-loved 17 incher.

If you want your antiglare, I'd buy one maxed out on anything that isn't bolted down.

3. G0meZ macrumors regular

what?
    the antiglare option is gone since over a year, no?

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

I believe you're absolutely correct.

So much so, that I just ordered a fully maxed out 15" BTO MBP w/ hi-res anti-glare display.

I've got one of the last fully loaded 17" MBP's that I bought for the very same reason. It's a practice I've implemented for years.

When it becomes apparent that Apple is suddenly & quietly going to pull a model I like, I immediately grab a fresh one. Especially since I only buy BTO models.

5. Liquinn Suspended

Why do you buy something just because it's getting discontinued? Just a question. :p

6. maxosx macrumors 68020

I don't buy because its getting discontinued. I only buy what is working ideally for me. So as to extend the useful life _for my_ purposes.

Granted I buy lots of new Apple products each year, for the fun of it, not because I must have the latest. But when it comes to a computer that's mission critical for my work, I use what's best for me.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not gone from the 15" non-retina model:

Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

8. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Retina's Just Updated

Feb 22 2013: Retina's updated, antiglare model dropped to single model with BTO options: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/22...mps-offer-minor-3-5-performance-improvements/

So clearly the writing is on the wall for the antiglare but the question is, after this recent update on the retinas, when will they finally discontinue the antiglare? June?

I'd say probably to be safe, if you want an antiglare you might want to order May 1 at the latest. What do you guys think?

In case they're suddenly discontinued, you could always go with a refurbished model, but you might not get the exact configuration you want, plus I've had bad experiences with refurbished models given the way they're packaged.