Antiglare / Matte Finish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mojodan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Mojodan macrumors newbie

Hello, I am wondering what people see as the benefits of the matte screen over the glossy? To my mind, the color reproduction on the glossy screen is amazing, and images almost seem to pop out of the screen. Personally, I have never really had any problems with too much glare or difficulty of viewing with the glossy screen.

Anyway, I am interested in hearing some opinions as to the differences between the two. Perhaps it is better for traveling / viewing in less than ideal environments?

thanks.

2. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I think that the matte option involves not having the glass screen.

As far as I can see that would take away one of my favourite features from the MBP. I love knowing that, unlike IMB compatible laptops, my screen is very unlikely to get scratched and I can wipe away smudges and fingerprints without worrying about knackering the screen's surface.

I hate that plasticy, fragile, slightly yielding surface that all other laptops have and protecting it with durable glass is an idea of genius.

doris

3. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

comparing the hi res anti-glare new 15" vs unibody 13" glossy right now side by side. Colours are just as bright, the 15" screen has good contrast ratio, maybe blacks are a little more livid with glossy but not by much

4. faith4more macrumors regular

All a matter of preference. But for me matte is so much better than glossy. I find glossy very distracting even in a dim room.

I will say the matte on the new mac book pros is fantastic. You lose nothing in brightness and it is as clear, and crisp as can be.

But it all boils down to the beholder. I can't say one is better than the other but I prefer matte.

5. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Hmm. Matte may be better aesthetic wise, but as I said I love the feeling of security that having a sheet of durable, hard glass betwixt my precious screen and a world full of scratchy things gives me.

Is this site desperately short of money?
    Iam surprised that such a splendid, informative, and well-reknowned site as mac rumours would have adverts from a company as iffy as swoopo.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I've never scratched a matte laptop screen in 7 years of owning laptops. It's not like these are iphones you keep in your pocket.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. Mojodan thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, Thank You.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ads are contracted out to a third party I believe, so you will see sometimes conflicting ads.