Antiglare MBP or MBP Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vicryl, Jul 24, 2013.

1. vicryl macrumors newbie

Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently own a 13" MBP. I am looking to purchase a new mac for the upcoming academic year; I have been fortunate enough to get accepted to medical school and I need a new laptop. I use my laptop for pretty much the normal basic tasks as well as the odd photo editing. I find the 13" MBP too small for my liking. I am receiving very mixed suggestions from the mac friends I have, re: retina vs. non retina. If I buy the non-retina, I am looking to get the antiglare screen. I do like the lightweight of the retina MBP, but I am very much on the fence as to which one I should pull the trigger on. If you give me your suggestion, that would be fantastic! Thanks very much for your help.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

3. vicryl thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, thanks. Should I repost in the correct forum or wait for a mod to move it over.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

If you're in a place where glare is a big deal, you'll still notice quite a bit of it on the Retina screen. It is improved versus the standard glossy, but it still packs quite a reflection in direct light.

Some people really love the improved contrast on the Retina screen. It's less important to me.

It really comes down to personal preference. I bought the Retina myself (mostly for resale value), but I miss my old hi-res matte screen some days.

6. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I personally can't use a glossy MBP for more than 2 hours before getting eye fatigue but on antiglare I'm fine. Retina's are about 1/2 the amount of glare IMO. I can't speak for your eyes but since you're going to be working away at school projects for hours, I'd go for the antiglare.

7. vicryl thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I guess I am better off getting the anti-glare mac. For any of you that have handled/carried the 15" non retina MBP vs. the new 15" rMBP, the weight difference is negligible? I walk about 2 miles a day with my current 13" MBP.

Thanks again for all of your feedback so far.

8. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

The 15" is not a problem for guys.

9. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

Yeah, most of the time I just ask my Y chromosome to carry my computer. :rolleyes:

10. Idefix macrumors 6502

You've probably figured out that glare vs anti-glare is totally personal pref: I can't stand glare, but other folks feel it's a non-issue (Apple felt there was enough of an anti-glare market that they brought it back--after refusing to make anti-glare for a few years.)

Main thing is that new MBP models are coming out soon. Can you make do with what you have until then? Because you'll probably kick yourself when the new models come out. Even if you don't want the newer models, the older models will be heavily discounted at that point.

About carrying either MBP: make sure you have a great backpack with compression straps on the sides. The compression straps pull the load closer to your back which lets you stand up straighter.

Also, always wear the backpack on both shoulders. Wearing a pack on only one shoulder will distort the spine (and give you back pain) and over time will result in a shoulder that is higher than the opposite shoulder (distorted spine.)

Or just get a rolling computer case.

11. mschre2 macrumors newbie

I guess this question becomes obsolete as it appears the 15" MB pro is retina ONLY now.

A year ago I went through this and went with the antiglare with 8gb ram and 256 ssd and must say all of the speed issues folks talked about with "flash" architecture I obviously see here.

I do love the form factor of the new Retinas but getting a mid 2012, non- retina with ssd, anti glare and 8 gb makes me wonder if apple really needed to reinvent the wheel to get lighter and smaller... A year ago I thought I would really miss a super drive and find I rarely use it...although I did just buy the latest pearl jam, so I guess I won there?

I guess my hope is that Apple will figure out how to get the retina form factor, with an anti glare option and the ability to upgrade or replace my battery with a lot less pain. No super drive is OK with me.

Wishful thinking. Definitely not complaining about my choice and would not hesitate to get a retina in the future....

12. TRAV9614, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017