Antiglare vs Glossy - battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alienatf, Jul 4, 2011.

1. alienatf macrumors member

Hi everyone.

Decising which display to install into my new macbook pro 15"

First of all i need maximum work without AC.

Which display need more power for work?
    Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Both displays need the same amount of power for the same level of brightness, but if you use the glossy one, you might need a higher brightness level due to compensating the gloss in some situations.

3. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would imagine that they both use the same amount of power. I can't see why there would be a difference.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the lcd panel itself is the same. the only difference is whether there is a glass panel on top or not. since glass doesn't consume power, you would get the same battery life out of each.

5. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

To be able to see the glossy screen with minimal reflection, you would need to crank the brightness up. Brighter = consume more power. This is one of the reasons why I chose the anti glare screen. I say go for it.

6. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

Exactly the same here, Gloss means less power available in situations were glare is prevalent. Also loss of detail in darker areas is a major pain for me with the glossy screen MBP. Gloss is nasty....

7. alienatf thread starter macrumors member

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

The LCD panel isn't the same. I looked up what display I have and it's a Matte Screen that LG makes. So it's not a glossy screen that LG made and Apple removed the glass.

On-topic: Matte is the way to go for mobility. You can work with no problem on only 1 bar of brightness. With Glossy display you need to turn up the brightness which will eat battery.

9. alienatf thread starter macrumors member

But glossy display has bigger resolution!
    Will it use more cpu and vpu, just becuase of bigger screen resolution?

10. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I chose the Anti-Glare screen because i didn't like the glare and i could keep the display at a lower brightness.

I would have to crank the brightness on a glossy display much higher than I do now, so if you're looking to get the most our of your battery life, I would suggest the anti glare option.

Also I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it true that SSDs and regular spinning serial ATA hard drives actually use approximately the same amount of electricity? I used to always think SSDs could also help your battery life.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have both and don't notice any real difference in battery life..

12. blackbinary macrumors member

They have the same energy draw as others have said.

If your in situations where there is a lot of glare, you might turn up the brightness to make it go away. This means in those situations the anti-glare will be more energy efficient.

If your in a lot of situations where anti glare would be useful, then get it for that, not even for any energy savings.

Otherwise, go with glossy.

13. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Both kind of drives, or displays?

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Both types of drives..

While I'm sure there is a cost, I just haven't noticed it..the HDD uses .2W when idle which seems to be pretty standard.

The only non glossy I have is a G4 with a dead battery that my 6yo uses to play Disney games, when new I think I got 3 hours out of it :D..anyway SSD to platter battery life didn't go up noticeably when I just had the SSD installed and it didn't decrease noticeably with both.

15. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Yea that's what i thought, thanks for the info.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You're welcome..

17. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i think that the point of turning up the brightness to combat the glossy screen is a great mention if you are concerned with battery life. that's going to drain your battery if you take the lazy route (or if it's necessary) and just turn up your brightness to take care of the glare. it's certainly not necessary though, you can reposition yourself or adjust the lighting where you are. still, a really good mention.

18. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I have had both and it is much easiers to see the AG outside, with my old glossy screen the brightness was needed to be all the way up, the AG is about half that

19. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Ummm, no it doesn't.